PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Real Player Installation

groeswenphil
May 25th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Hi group.
I've downloaded Real Player.
How do I install it?
It's sitting on my desktop....and I know that I've got to set my terminal so that it reads the files on the desktop.
Remind me how to do that.
Yhanks,
Phil

t0p
May 25th, 2008, 08:23 PM
So what kind of file is it? A .deb? A .tar.gz archive?

To access files on your Desktop with terminal you need to open terminal and type:

cd Desktop
Next type

ls
and you'll get a list of the contents of your Desktop.
If you post that list, I might be able to help you further.

drs305
May 25th, 2008, 08:30 PM
This is my entry from an earlier post:

There may be better options, but if you really want realplayer 11, you can download it from here: http://www.real.com/linux

Personally, I would wait for some better recommendations for whatever you want to use it for.

If you still want RealPlayer 11, what you will download is a .bin file. If you do install it, keep the folder Realplayer that is created once you are finished. The reason is that bin files install programs outside synaptic and apt-get/aptitude and cannot be uninstalled via those means. Inside the Realplayer folder are the uninstall scripts that won't be available should you delete that folder after installation.

That post is here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=806680

But, if I recall, you would change into the folder with the bin file. Then:

chmod a+x RealPlayer11GOLD.bin
This will turn the file's icon into a blue diamond.

Then in terminal to start the installation:

./RealPlayer11GOLD.bin

Don't forget to save the Realplayer folder created during the install so you can run the .postuninst.sh script to uninstall it should you decide to do so. Uninstall won't be available with synaptic or apt-get/aptitude.

groeswenphil
May 25th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Thanks..........that worked. I suppose moving the files is OK?
Phil

drs305
May 25th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks..........that worked. I suppose moving the files is OK?
Phil

Yes. I moved mine to a backup folder. You may have to put it back in the original location for the uninstall script to work properly.