PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Password pop up box

king2042
May 24th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Hi all,

As a new convert from XP to Ubuntu I am very impressed with what I have seen so far apart from one small issue concerning passwords.

My problem is when I start any application requiring my user password (add/Remove etc) the application freezes waiting for me to enter the said password, but no box pops up for me to enter it in, until I start the app again "over" the already running/frozen original. Then the box will pop up and everything is back to normal and I can carry on with what I was doing.

I hope this makes sense to you all as I'm still getting my head around the terminoligy in Linux.:confused:

Thanks in advance.
Dave

lswest
May 24th, 2008, 11:35 AM
if you open a terminal and do this
sudo apt-get install --reinstall gksu gksudo it might solve the problem, as gksu and gksudo are the programs in charge of prompting you for a password, and if they seem to have a problem, re-installing it might help.

king2042
May 24th, 2008, 11:48 AM
if you open a terminal and do this
sudo apt-get install --reinstall gksu gksudo it might solve the problem, as gksu and gksudo are the programs in charge of prompting you for a password, and if they seem to have a problem, re-installing it might help.

Amazing! Thanks for the very quick and Successful solution.

Thanks for the helping hand.:)
Regards
Dave

lswest
May 24th, 2008, 12:06 PM
No problem at all, glad i was able to help ^^ and if you want, you can click the blue medal on the bottom right of my post to "thank" me ;) </vanity> :P Hope you enjoy your Ubuntu experience, and welcome to the forums :)

*edit* haha, thanks for the thanks :)