View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Main Menu Shortcut/Terminal Launch Fail

May 23rd, 2008, 10:35 PM
Hi, I have been experiencing this problem for the past couple of days. My "Main Menu" shortcut which launches the command "alacarte" does not start the window. When I open a terminal and type "alacarte" or "sudo alacarte" I receive text such as this...

***@***:~$ sudo alacarte
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/alacarte", line 22, in <module>
from Alacarte.MainWindow import MainWindow
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Alacarte/MainWindow.py", line 19, in <module>
import gtk, gtk.glade, gmenu, gobject, gnomevfs, gnome.ui
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/gtk-2.0/gnome/__init__.py", line 13, in <module>
from _gnome import *
ImportError: /usr/lib/libasound.so.2: undefined symbol: midiparser_input_buf

Release 8.04 (hardy)
Kernel Linux 2.6.24-17-generic
GNOME 2.22.1

Additionally, I have tried changing the ownership of the file alacarte to my user, but that did not fix it. Hopefully somebody can help me solve the problem. If you don't have a solution, hopefully someone can provide me with the "Keyboard Shortcuts" terminal command.

May 23rd, 2008, 10:50 PM
Have you installed the program Timidity?

May 23rd, 2008, 10:58 PM
I checked Synaptic and Timidity was not installed. I think I remember doing something with that libasound file when I was trying to get my flash sound to work.

May 23rd, 2008, 11:12 PM
I was just fishing for an answer based on the error: undefined symbol: midiparser_input_buf

Timidity is a midi parser. Seems like the result of some sound program you have. Sorry I don't know more. Googling that error turns up several links: for example:http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/fedora-35/system-config-network-command-gives-an-exception-635557/

June 6th, 2008, 02:26 PM

i had the same problem and just managed to fix it by installing

python 2.4 minimal
python 2.4 dev
python 2.4

hope this helps!

If you're having trouble with permissions and alacarte will only run with sudo, try renaming/deleting ~/.config/menus/applications.menu