PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Dual boot with Vista help!

MadsRH
May 23rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
I know there are about 500 post about this, but non of them helped me :confused:

I really messed up the installation of Vista. By reading all the post's I now have both OS's running, but I would like to replace the WindowsBootLoader with my good old Grub!

I have no idea what my harddrive partitions are called!

Can anyone help me??? :(
MadsRH

Paqman
May 23rd, 2008, 09:50 PM
How did you install Ubuntu? If you used Wubi then you're stuck with the Windows bootloader, i'm afraid.

MadsRH
May 23rd, 2008, 09:55 PM
No, Ubuntu first.
I tried to follow this guide, but I couldn't get Vista to install to the drive, so I formated it to NTFS and then it installed fine.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_linux_is_already_ installed.htm

So I tried the part "Dualboot Option 2 - GRUB bootloader" typing
root (hd0,0) from the liveCD, but I got some kind of error (can remember now!)

kansasnoob
May 23rd, 2008, 10:07 PM
I assume you installed or reinstalled Vista after having Linux up and running. Regardless this should help you:

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_linux_is_already_ installed.htm

Both methods work. I've done it!

Just breathe easy and bust out a spiral notebook to keep track of what you've done.

I'll be taking off soon for most of the evening but you can do this.

kansasnoob
May 23rd, 2008, 10:08 PM
Oops, overlapped.

Let me think.

Paqman
May 23rd, 2008, 10:10 PM
Ah, ok. Just to confirm, you did

sudo grub
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
quit

In the terminal from the LiveCD? Can you please post the actual error message you got?

MadsRH
May 23rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
No I only wrote "root (hd0,0)"

Well, I can't remember it!!! I could boot from the LiveCD and try it again?

Paqman
May 23rd, 2008, 10:20 PM
Yeah, you need the "sudo grub" to get into the grub setup, from there you can specify the partition. I didn't think the guide you linked to was 100% clear about that, which is why I asked.

Btw, "root (hd0,0)" is only right if Ubuntu is installed on the first partition. You might need to change that to reflect where it actually is.

MadsRH
May 23rd, 2008, 10:29 PM
Okay, I hope I did it right now then!

I]m on the liveCD and just did the
sudo grub
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
quit

So what now! I guess there\s no sign of Vista or how does it works

kansasnoob
May 23rd, 2008, 10:34 PM
Just FYI the reason I thanked PAQMAN was his simple and prophetic words, "In the terminal from the LiveCD?"

While it may not apply here my most frequent early failures with Ubuntu were related to using "MY" Ubuntu installation to make adjustments that could only be made using the live CD.

It's a different world for long time Windows users.

Paqman
May 23rd, 2008, 10:48 PM
So what now! I guess there\s no sign of Vista or how does it works

If that worked you'll get Grub up when you reboot. Since you installed Ubuntu first you won't have Vista on the list. You can add it by editing the Grub menu:

gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

You'll want to add an entry for Windows that looks like:

title Windows Fista
root (hd0,insert correct partition here)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

So you'll need to know what partition Windows is on for that. Grub numbers the partitions starting at zero, so if Windows was on sda4, that would be (hd0,3)

MadsRH
May 23rd, 2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks Paqman! It worked great, but I still ****** up again :confused:

I just wanted to do a little finttuneing by removing the WindowsBootLoader. So I pressed the Uninstall Bootloader (inside Vista).
So now I get this

NTLDR is missing error

can I just do the

sudo grub
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
quit

from the liveCD again?

Paqman
May 23rd, 2008, 11:21 PM
No, you need NTLDR. You can't boot Windows without it. Does Vista have a "Whoops, please reinstall NTLDR" button?

MadsRH
May 23rd, 2008, 11:25 PM
Crap! You're funny - it was the EasyBCD that had that option. Okay maybe I should just get Ubuntu running again and forget Vista for the a few days ](*,)

or run a repair with the Vista CD?

msidhard
May 23rd, 2008, 11:32 PM
hey man just download super GRUB disk [SGD] from net . its just 1.44 mb . u will get it as iso file write it with nero in a blank cd. so that if u r installing the windows again u can fix it easily. download it from here :- http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/

MadsRH
May 23rd, 2008, 11:35 PM
I really just want to get Ubuntu working again

MadsRH
May 24th, 2008, 06:39 AM
can anyone help?

MadsRH
May 24th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Okay, I got it working :)

I did a repair with the Vista CD and booted on the Ubuntu LiveCD and did the

sudo grub
root (hd0,0)