PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Me troubles with Flash

harrowed1
May 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
It all started 3-4 days ago while late at night playing a flash-player game. The game kept stalling and the keyboard would suddenly stop working within the game, so quite frustrated I gave up on it and went to bed. The next day dawns and find that the keyboard has stopped working entirely in everything Flash. I'm a ubuntu man so I check this forum for an already posted solution to my problem.
This is where I completely screw-up. You see I don't find a solution to my particular problem, but to my ignorant mind I think I see something that might work involving access to non-free flash through restricted ubuntu extras.
So as instructed I access my terminal and type in: sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
It tells me it involves deleting one thing I don't understand, adding another I equally don't understand, widening the amount of memory used, etc, etc allow Y/N. Sense I don't understand at all what it is doing to my computer or why I of course hit Y. I don't screw-up half way after all!
After a few minutes of installation it tells me everything has worked out, and I try to see if Flash is now peachy-keen. Didn't appear to do jack. Next day I try again and now Flash appears to not be here at all! Whenever I try to access anything flashy it tells me I need to install extra plugins, when I do that I go to that menu listing "Adobe Flash Player (installer), Swfdc player for Adobe/Macromedia Flash, Gnash SWF Player". However whenever I try to access either of these it tells me:

Failed to run /user/sbin/synaptic --'hide-main-window'--non-interactive --'set-selection file' '/tmp/tmpujVjDH' as user root

The underlying authorization mechanism (sudo) does not allow you to run this program. Contact the system administration.

Added to the fact that my Synaptic Package Manager is now missing, and my computer is now weirdly stalling, I'm beginning to get at my wits end.
I NEEDS HELP!!! WHAT HAVE I DONE TO MYSELF?!

accodata
May 24th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Are you able to download the Linux version of Flash, I had that problem late last year, so I downloaded the Flash, and double lefted clicked on it, and it installed itself.

Hope this helps you