PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Port managing

shortridge11
May 23rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
ubuntu desktop 8.04

hi all, i was trying to open up some ports, and i was using the System/Admin/Network tools to do a port scan, and i needed to open some ports. I tried using the ufw, but when i enabled it and tried adding rules to allow ports, the scan didn't show it as open. For example, i tried adding port 21 to be open for all by typing
sudo ufw allow 21

is that right?
if not, i'd appreciate a point towards some port managing application. I'd like to turn the ufw on, but i'm afraid all my ports will be shut off. Thanks

neurostu
May 23rd, 2008, 07:46 PM
try firestarter, its got a great GUI front end and you can tell it specifically which ports you want open, or what services to open ports for and it picks the default port for the service.

to install:

sudo apt-get install firestarter

The Cog
May 23rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Why is it that when someone says they want to open a port, someone else always says they need to install a firewall? That is probably the opposite of what they want to do.

On a default install, all the ports are closed because there is nothing listening on them - that's all. To open a port, install a service that listens on that port. If you want port 21 open, install an FTP server.

You may want to install a firewall to prevent all and sundry connecting to it, in which case you will have to open the firewall for port 21 from the users you do want to connect to it. You don't have to install a firewall to make FTP work - you install a firewall to stop it working for anybody.

shortridge11
May 24th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I'm just trying to remote view my desktop, and remote viewer uses port 5900, but it's not open when i port scan it. How do i open that port??

dstin1
May 24th, 2008, 09:05 PM
open the port on your dsl modem/router. Here is a guide.

http://portforward.com/routers.htm

The Cog
May 24th, 2008, 11:12 PM
System_>Preferences->Remote Desktop.
Enable Allow other users to view your desktop.

Confirm that you can see port 5900 listed with the command

netstat -lnt
If 5900 is listed then the port is open and listening.

If you have a firewall intalled then you will also have to check there that connections to 5900 are allowed through. Ultimately, all firewalls end up configuring iptables (they are all just front-ends). You can see the iptables rules with

sudo iptables -nvL
but they take a lot of work to understand.