PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DiVX & VirtualDubMod

H.Callahan
May 23rd, 2008, 05:21 PM
I am hoping that a new computer (more capable of doing video stuff) is in the wings and I would like to know:

1. Is there an equivalent program to the VirtualDubMod that runs on Windows? I have tried to install it under Wine, and it kinda runs ok, but after trying to install DiVX Pro in Wine, which seems to install ok, VDub does not see the codec. Winehq does not have much info on VDub.

2. Assuming that there there is a (1), is DiVX (not Xvid) available for Ubuntu?

The ultimate goal is to get DiVX Home Theater Certified files created completely without Windows.

BTW, before anyone asks, the reason for this is that I have a DiVX Home Theater Certified stand-alone DVD player. It will play Xvid files, but without basic features like fast forward and reverse. Therefore the Xvid codec is not a completely acceptable solution.

shifty_powers
May 23rd, 2008, 05:26 PM
gordian knot?

no longer in development, afaik, but then it doesn't need to be, it works ;)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gordianknot

TenPlus1
May 23rd, 2008, 05:45 PM
Avidemux is in the repo's and does a great job of manipulating and converting movies...

H.Callahan
May 23rd, 2008, 06:22 PM
Isn't GK Windows only or am I missing something?

I'll take a look at Avidemux.

disturbedite
May 23rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
yes, definitely avidemux is VD's linux equivalent. no, actually, avidemux is much better than VD!

H.Callahan
May 23rd, 2008, 06:59 PM
I just installed avidemux and it initially seems reasonable. The next question is can real, 100% genuine, DiVX be used on Ubuntu for coding?

SunnyRabbiera
May 23rd, 2008, 07:08 PM
I just installed avidemux and it initially seems reasonable. The next question is can real, 100% genuine, DiVX be used on Ubuntu for coding?

xvid is probably your best bet as divx is closed source, ubuntu mainly uses free software alternatives when available.
But I think that most of the xvid codecs and stuff should work for you.

H.Callahan
May 23rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
My problem with Xvid is that, on my DVD player, files encoded with it do not respond to fast forward or reverse (they will pause, though) and will not allow jumping to a specific time within the video. Actual DiVX files will.

Assuming DiVX can't be had for Ubuntu, does anyone know anything about running DiVX under Wine to use with VirtualDubMod?

shifty_powers
May 23rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
not looking good on that one....

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=7829

shifty_powers
May 23rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
heh no results for divx pro codec...

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2492

SunnyRabbiera
May 23rd, 2008, 07:42 PM
well before doing anything drastic, try installing the ubuntu-restricted-extras package along with the gstreamer plugins, good, bad, ugly.
also try medibuntu too, there might be something for you in the repositories as well if you know how to use them.

H.Callahan
May 23rd, 2008, 07:48 PM
Carp.

I will look around some more, but this will probably force me back to a dual boot situation again.

SunnyRabbiera
May 23rd, 2008, 07:51 PM
Carp.

I will look around some more, but this will probably force me back to a dual boot situation again.

I dont think this will be the case, by all accounts I do think its possible to get Divx videos working in linux, I just never dont it as I dont use divx.
I can give you lessons on how to use the repositories if you need me to

H.Callahan
May 23rd, 2008, 08:05 PM
Oh, I can get DiVX files to play in Ubuntu. That is not the problem. The problem is that I have a tabletop DVD player hooked to my TV. This tabletop player is capable of playing native DiVX encoded files that have been burnt to a CD or DVD. The player will not play Xvid encoded files with all the features -- like fast forward, reverse and time jumping -- available.

Therefore I need a way to recompress any videos, even Xvid, with real, genuine, honest-to-god DiVX so that I can burn them to CD/DVD and have them play, full-featured, in the desktop box.

fiddledd
May 23rd, 2008, 09:07 PM
Here might be what you need: http://labs.divx.com/DivXLinuxCodec

It seems like it's Divx Pro but for Linux. Sorry if I've misread it, I'm rushing abit before I go offline:)

H.Callahan
May 23rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
I'll give that a try. It looks complicated and I don't know how hopeful to be given the comments, but at least it's something!

Thanks!

disturbedite
May 24th, 2008, 07:55 PM
just get a KISS player, they support practically every audio & video format under the sun...

H.Callahan
May 27th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Here might be what you need: http://labs.divx.com/DivXLinuxCodec

It seems like it's Divx Pro but for Linux. Sorry if I've misread it, I'm rushing abit before I go offline:)

Well, it appears that is some sort of API, probably good for coding DiVX into an application. I can't tell whether the actual codec has been installed or not. It (DiVX) does not appear in the list of Avidemux as usable codec. Where do codecs generally get installed in Ubuntu?

H.Callahan
May 27th, 2008, 06:10 PM
just get a KISS player, they support practically every audio & video format under the sun...

I'd love to! Please feel free to mail me donations towards getting one!

:-D:-D