PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Watching DVDs freezes my system

Robs_Hat
May 23rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Hi

my computer freezes while playing dvd's. it only appears to happen while playing dvd's and there is no pattern to how long i get to watch before the screen freezes the sound is looping and i have to do a hard reset. sometimes i can watch a couple of movies back to back with no problems.

To enable dvd's to work i followed http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

i have done all the usual checking temps etc they seem fine. i tried turning overlay on/off in the dvd players that had the option didn't seem to change anything

got an athlon x2 4400, geforce 7950 gx2 (installed the drivers using ENVY), using my mobo sound because as yet i can't get my sound blaster x-fi fatal1ty pro extreme gamer card working in ubuntu, my motherboard is an asus A8AE-LE (AmberineM) im running ubuntu amd64 8.04 hardy. at the moment i'm dual booting with xp, but am slowly making ubuntu my primary OS.

will percevier with a fix for this, anyone with a similar problems?

Robs_Hat
June 21st, 2008, 09:35 PM
a friend of mine said that it may be the motherboard getting old and when the computer is up to temp, one of the small connections inside isn't connecting properly, when i reset it cools just enough that it reconnects, 'magically' fixing the problem.
ubuntu is giving me no other problems and is a lovely os to work with, i'll just lump this problem i think, does everything else asked of it.