PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Portable USB Hard Drive

clive littlewood
May 23rd, 2008, 03:16 PM
Hi All

I am running an Acer Extensa 5510 Laptop with Hardy.

I would like to purchase a portable USB hard drive to carry files, photo,s and mp3 etc.

Before i do can anybody recommend a suitable portable drive proven to work with Hardy.

PS.

Great forum, Great OS
cwl

bumanie
May 23rd, 2008, 03:33 PM
Can't give you a precise answer, however I have a samsung 2.5" laptop hdd in an external case, bought separately - it works fine. I have read varying things about proprietary ready-made usb hdd's. Seagate freeagent does not seem to work well with ubuntu according to some things I have read. I recently read about someone not getting much joy from from a pre-made western digital external hdd. I have no first hand experience with any of these, so can only suggest you use caution before buying anything and check with the retailer or manufacturer whether the drive you are buying is meant to work with linux or not.

clive littlewood
May 23rd, 2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the info Bumanie.

I will ask before buying !!!!

cwl

bumanie
May 23rd, 2008, 04:25 PM
I guess I should add that the seagate freeagent seems to work unless the computer goes into hibernation, the drive does not seem to be able to restart (apparently) from that state. Seagate apparently say they do not specifically support linux, so weren't very interested in any complaint recieved. Can't remember the details of what issue the WD drive had.