PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] utorrent-wine, high memory consumption?

aimpau
May 23rd, 2008, 02:30 PM
In windows, my utorrent usually uses less than 8MB ram with 11 preloaded torrents. In Hardy, it uses about 18MB with just 2 torrents loaded. Any ideas why?

Can someone just hack into utorrent and make a linux equivalent? Transmission is slow and Deluge is just really hogs up mem consumption.

Don't call me obsessive compulsive, :), but I run on 512 MB RAM and my boot up RAM usage is less than 90MB. I want to keep everything under 200MB and as I can see it, utorrent uses a double digit value for mem.

kilroy423
May 23rd, 2008, 02:56 PM
You use wine with utorrent? Ofcourse it is going to use more ram. You should give rtorrent a try, I happen to like it's simplicity and your ocd will like its low mem usage.

Kilroy

3doff
May 23rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Transmission uses 24.4 Mb with 64 torrents (about 12 - 15 are active)
and 1-3% of AMD Sempron 3000+ (1.9Ghz) when minimized in tray and 5-8% when maximized

ubuntu 8.04

aimpau
May 23rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
64 torrents with deluge? interesting. I'll give this rtorrent a try.

kilroy423
May 23rd, 2008, 03:14 PM
If you get stumped, this should help explain how to use it alittle better

http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/wiki/RTorrentUserGuide

Kilroy

nudnik
May 23rd, 2008, 03:18 PM
In windows, my utorrent usually uses less than 8MB ram with 11 preloaded torrents. In Hardy, it uses about 18MB with just 2 torrents loaded. Any ideas why?

Can someone just hack into utorrent and make a linux equivalent? Transmission is slow and Deluge is just really hogs up mem consumption.

Don't call me obsessive compulsive, :), but I run on 512 MB RAM and my boot up RAM usage is less than 90MB. I want to keep everything under 200MB and as I can see it, utorrent uses a double digit value for mem.

Its been my experience that Windows software rarely, if ever, behaves as it would in an XP or Vista environment when run using Wine. There are native clients for almost every need these days (as opposed to a few years ago), you are always far better off with a quality native client.

When it comes to torrenting, I prefer Deluge. Transmission seems as if it has potential, but it behaves eccentrically on both of my machines. Thus far, the modern versions of Deluge have performed flawlessly on both machines whether using Debian, FreeBSD 7.0 or Ubuntu.

aimpau
May 24th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Is utorrent somewhat equal to rtorrent minus the gui? I want to have the abilities of utorrent with rtorrent. I think I'm going to like this rtorrent. Does it update regularly?

kilroy423
May 24th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I don't know about rtorrents update patterns, but it is pretty minimal and cuts alot of the crap out. Rtorrent is powerful if you take the time to learn the keyboard shortcuts and is a good tool to dump onto a headless server install with no gui.

here is the homepage if you have any questions

http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/

good luck,

Kilroy

robalcorn
May 24th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Try Ktorrent it's great.