PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] change of motherboard

jonathan21
May 23rd, 2008, 10:48 AM
I recently started having problems with my motherboard I was wondering how you get ubuntu to pickup new motherboard drivers without reinstalling ubuntu.I have gotten kernal panic error when changing motherboard.chipset is different.

saj0577
May 23rd, 2008, 11:56 AM
Im no expert at this sort of problem but I will try to help untill someone more knowledgable helps out.

You tested the new motherboard definately works with ubuntu? Live CD?

Saj

marufaberlin
May 23rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
that's a difficult task, my approach would be the following:

make two partitions:

partition 1: your old linux
partition 2: clean install of a distro (will be deleted later)

boot partition 2
chroot to partition 1
grab a kernel source tarball
make it
get additional modules & install
boot partition 1
reinstall kernel using apt
use module-assistant (or do it manually) to install additional modules
delete partition 2 and grow file system on partition 1 to fit

but no guarantees, might just go wrong...

what about a new, clean install? you can still mount your old home folder and reinstall apps?

hope this helps.

jonathan21
June 2nd, 2008, 10:40 AM
had to eventually backup and reinstall thanks guys for your help.

davidsrsb
June 2nd, 2008, 02:48 PM
Linux is normally very tolerant of major hardware changes, as there is no equivalent of the Windows registry. Usually problems are down to the use of RAID or subtle changes in the way the disk controller handles the drive geometry.

stchman
June 2nd, 2008, 03:03 PM
I recently started having problems with my motherboard I was wondering how you get ubuntu to pickup new motherboard drivers without reinstalling ubuntu.I have gotten kernal panic error when changing motherboard.chipset is different.

From what I understand about the Linux kernel the new hardware drivers will be enabled since all the drivers are in the kernel.

If this does not work reinstalling Hardy takes about 20 minutes.