PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9 degree overheating on install?

blissirritated
May 23rd, 2008, 10:19 AM
My apologies for the newb-esque question, but I can't get my head around this:

I've used the Ubuntu live CD (7.04) on the laptop before - thought I'd take the plunge and actually install it properly tonight. Not completely brainless when it comes to computers so I figured I'd be able to manage this.

Computer has been off all day and it's freezing cold here: so I'm a little confused as to why I'm getting "[random number] Critical temperature reached, (9 C), shutting down" when trying to run/install it? After the (huge amount of) 9 degrees it comes up with 128 C, proceeds with the rest of the install (which apparently is "okay"), enters a basic GUI then shuts itself down?

There's nothing that changed with the laptop since I last used the CD, the laptop definitely is not overheating (and since when is 9 degrees overheating?).

Is it just me? Is this some random thing that happens? Can anyone point me in the right direction with how to get the flipping thing to work properly again?

nudnik
May 23rd, 2008, 10:44 AM
My apologies for the newb-esque question, but I can't get my head around this:

I've used the Ubuntu live CD (7.04) on the laptop before - thought I'd take the plunge and actually install it properly tonight. Not completely brainless when it comes to computers so I figured I'd be able to manage this.

Computer has been off all day and it's freezing cold here: so I'm a little confused as to why I'm getting "[random number] Critical temperature reached, (9 C), shutting down" when trying to run/install it? After the (huge amount of) 9 degrees it comes up with 128 C, proceeds with the rest of the install (which apparently is "okay"), enters a basic GUI then shuts itself down?

There's nothing that changed with the laptop since I last used the CD, the laptop definitely is not overheating (and since when is 9 degrees overheating?).

Is it just me? Is this some random thing that happens? Can anyone point me in the right direction with how to get the flipping thing to work properly again?

Just to make absolutely sure, I would run the laptop with Windows and possibly another Unix/Linux OS as well to see if the same result ensues. My guess is that it likely will as I strongly suspect your hardware has developed a serious fault.
Make sure the laptop is resting on a flat, hard surface so that it is properly ventilated. Check to see if the internal fan(s) are running. If you are skilled in such things, open the case and have a look. It may be time for a thorough cleaning at the very least. Keep in mind a major component may have failed and you might need to replace the laptop.

nudnik
May 23rd, 2008, 11:01 AM
A follow-up: You may not be alone. A recent post to the forum indicates this might be a compatability issue. See "Laptop Get Very Hot" post near the top of this section. I would still thouroughly diagnose my hardware just in case, however. Access the BIOS and see what the sensors are posting there.