PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Please help, lots of problem! ><

erictheheaven
May 23rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Hello, my name is Eric, I am completely new and attracted to Ubuntu, but I am getting very frustrated on installing drivers and configuring settings that I wanted.

I am currently using x64 Ubuntu 8.04 and have Quad Extreme as my CPU.

Please hold my hand and guide me step by step on how to do each of the following:

1. I first wanted to update my Nvidia 8800 GTX driver to the most recent one. I have read through forums and searched all over Google, I have tried using EnvyNG to update. I can successfully install and restart using EnvyNG, but after the restart, it tells me that it was unable to detect my graphic card and driver, I was given the choice of continue, it will load for a sec and then turns into black screen. Can someone show me step by step on how exactly this works?

2. I wanted to install Beryl after I can finish updating my video card. Instructions from the site I searched are a little bit complicated as it tells me to edit files using terminal which I don't know how to use, I would definitely need help on that.

3. I also wanted to install Wine so I can play PC games and use Newsleecher to download things again from Usenet. I would definitely need a lot of help on this.

4. The most annoying part is whatever I do, I have to always type in my passwords and gain access or privilege, how do you exactly disable it?

Thank you very much for your attention, and hope to listen to you guys soon.

-Eric

hyper_ch
May 23rd, 2008, 10:36 AM
2. I wanted to install Beryl
Ubuntu Hardy comes by default with Compiz Fusion, so beryl is not needed any longer.

3. I also wanted to install Wine so I can play PC games and use Newsleecher to download things again from Usenet. I would definitely need a lot of help on this.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com --> there are guides that show how to install wine... if you can't find any, search for "WoW". That one also shows how to install wine.

4. The most annoying part is whatever I do, I have to always type in my passwords and gain access or privilege, how do you exactly disable it?
Have a read here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765414

Last: For different, unrelated issues make sepearte threads AND use a descriptive topic title and not just "noob here" or "need help". It seems pretty logical that a new thread in a "support forum" is asking for some kind of help and it's also pretty obvious that in the "absoulte beginner talk" less experienced users are.