PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Best Dvd::rip settings

vdawg
May 23rd, 2008, 05:54 AM
Hi!

As the title says, I would like to gather opinions on the best dvd::rip settings for ripping tv shows (from dvd).

Firstly, I decided to use the "Autoajust, Small Frame Size, HQ Resize" Clip & Zoom preset coz it really produces a better quality image.
Then I use the AVI container with the xvid codec.
It is NTSC so I leave the framerate at 29, with 50 keyframes, 2-pass encoding and "Zoom to full frame" deinterlace mode.
Then I set the target size to be 233 so this way I can stash 3 shows on 1 cd (233 x 3 = 699) hehe
I leave the audio as 128kbps mp3 which results in the video size of 185 and audio size of 44 to give a total of 232.
I use PSU core
The ripping time for a show length 45m this takes about 3 hours!!!!!

If I change the frame size to clip to be "Autoadjust, medium, fast" I get a much faster rip (only 1.5 hrs) but you can see the quality difference :p

Anyways would much like opinions for dvds, what settings do you guys use for ripping a 1CD rip of a dvd.

cheers!

vdawg
May 23rd, 2008, 04:24 PM
bump!

aeiah
May 23rd, 2008, 04:37 PM
your best bet is to see what the settings the professionals use. i mean the piracy groups. you dont need to download anything illegal. all you need is to view the nfo files that they release with the film. these usually say what bitrate and resolution they used etc etc.

check http://www.nforce.nl/index.php this has them all catalogued. for xvid, ones that are 49 or 50x15mb are 700mb and the 99 or 100x15mb are the 2 cd 1.4gb ones.

there are plenty of tv rips too to see what they are using. obviously it varies but you get a ballpark estimate. i think the general practice for tv shows is that you give them a 350mb filesize (2 per cd).

i dont know how good your encode time is. it depends a lot on your CPU

vdawg
May 26th, 2008, 06:18 AM
cool, thanks!