PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] where is the file for desktop panel

carloslosgrande
May 23rd, 2008, 03:43 AM
Hi, I've managed to get an icon for a real estate company installed on my top panel.
I didn't put it there!
It consists of a url and opens firefox.
I know I can delete it from the panel but I'd like to find where its installed itself, and how it did that.
I assume there is a standard file for everything on the panels?

wrgb2
May 23rd, 2008, 05:00 AM
You can use the Gnome Configuration editor to view the settings for the Gnome panels. You'll need to enable it in the menu probably - go to System>Preferences>Main Menu, look under the System Tools category, a place a check beside Configuration Editor. Now run the configuration editor from Applications>System Tools>Configuration Editor. Look under Apps>Panel for all the settings for your panel(s).

tomart
May 23rd, 2008, 05:08 AM
I might be misunderstanding the problem, but do you think you might have accidentally dragged a URL from the Firefox address field onto your panel without noticing? This would create an icon on the panel that opens the web page in Firefox in the way you describe.

carloslosgrande
May 23rd, 2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks Randy, I didn't know about that. I looked through and found the culprit - I think - but can't see any options for deleting.
Also, Tomart, I just tried what you said with another site from firefox and I think you're right, that must have been what happened. Thanks mate.
I had no idea that was even possible. Handy at times.
Glad it wasn't some malware!