PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Networking and Internet

Vigh
May 23rd, 2008, 03:41 AM
Hi I am new to Ubuntu, just put a fresh install on my machine seems to be going okay. I was just wondering how can check if there are drivers already installed for my network card and if there are drivers already installed how can I set up my network so that I can connect to the internet through linux. The network card is plugged directly into the modem via ethernet. Thanks Anthony

Nessa
May 23rd, 2008, 03:58 AM
If your network card is built into the motherboard, it usually detects it automatically. Check your hardware list if your lan card shows up there with the right brand/model/etc.

Vigh
May 23rd, 2008, 04:09 AM
Need more info, its not an on-board lan cards, its 10/100 pci lan card, not sure of the model and make, how do i check the driver list? I am noob. Sorry! LoL! Anthony

oedha
May 23rd, 2008, 04:18 AM
open terminal :==> applications - accessories - terminal
type :==> sudo lshw -short { this will display your HW and see your NIC there }
after that
go to system - administration - hardware testing { to test your hardware }

Vigh
May 23rd, 2008, 04:23 AM
Don't I have to be connected to the internet to test the hardware? It says could not connect to server when I try to test the hardware. In the hardware list under network it says Gammagraphx, Inc. Does this mean the driver and hardware are working properly? Or will I need to install a driver for the network card still.

MaindotC
May 23rd, 2008, 04:28 AM
Yes you should have the 10/100 card plugged into "the internet".

Vigh
May 23rd, 2008, 04:30 AM
It is plugged in to the internet, it connects directly to the adsl modem via ethernet but the internet does not appear to be working on ubuntu. Any suggestions on how I can get it going.

MaindotC
May 23rd, 2008, 04:33 AM
Yes - try restarting your computer with the ethernet cable still plugged in. You don't have to do this all the time, just this once. If it's still not working, go to System -> Administration -> Network and see if you see a "Wired Connection" setting.

oedha
May 23rd, 2008, 04:34 AM
have you set the ip address and dns address ?

MaindotC
May 23rd, 2008, 04:36 AM
I'd rather he just use DHCP - this doesn't sound like a user that should be dealing w/ addresses. Just trying to keep it as simple as possible.

Vigh
May 23rd, 2008, 04:41 AM
Still not working, no wired connection appearing under network. It says the network interface is not connected.

thisiam
May 23rd, 2008, 04:41 AM
i like the roaming option myself. what do you get from ifconfig ?

MaindotC
May 23rd, 2008, 04:42 AM
Do you see lights around the ethernet port on your machine? Should be a constant green light and a blinking amber light.

thisiam
May 23rd, 2008, 04:52 AM
try this in terminal found it here (http://www.linuxguide.it/commands_list.php?Commands_by_Argument:Networking)

sudo mii-tool eth0

Vigh
May 23rd, 2008, 05:15 AM
trying to put a different network card in see if that works, working now thanks everyone

MaindotC
May 23rd, 2008, 05:23 AM
Yeah - unfortunately that doesn't really solve your problem, you just put a "band-aid" on it. It could be that your system didn't have the necessary drivers for the card - highly doubt it but just in case - after you download all your updates, stick that card back in and see if Hardy recognizes it.