PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Video is skipping with Hardy Heron

carl19_68
May 23rd, 2008, 02:33 AM
Hi All,

I just insatall hardy heron and the video is skipping, jumping or whatever you want to call it. I follow the " Sticky: [all variants] Comprehensive Multimedia & Video How-to" to the letter. (i even have a 12 page copy of it in Abiword.) I tried different screen resolutins, but didn't restart the CPU or browser each time. Still the same skipping or jumping occurs. So then I took Firefox Beta off and tried firefox 2 (no change). Right now I am browsing with Epiphany and the same thing happens. Video was fine in Fiesty, but I had sound issues so I upgraded.

If you want to see the output from the sticky, let me know. If you need more info, just tell me what to type in terminal and I'll post the results. I am not a newbie; however, I only know enough Linux to be dangerous and crash the system.

Thanks for you help.

cor2y
May 23rd, 2008, 02:41 AM
Flash video or multimedia video played in a media player?

carl19_68
May 23rd, 2008, 02:45 AM
Flashmedia... I tried youtube and a couple of other sites. The Apple site referenced in the sticky shows a black screen.. I just thought I would try one at a time.

cor2y
May 23rd, 2008, 02:58 AM
Personally i have ignored that sticky since about 6.04 and soldiered on about what i have learned in getting smooth multimedia playback.
Ok
Flash support : Use the closed source flash plugin (flashpluginnonfree) and if its still flakey its most likely a flash linux version i have noticed it when going to full screen on a flash video at the normal resolution it plays smooth, if i save the video and playback in a media player like say totem in full screen its smooth playback there which makes me thinks its either flash or firefox.
Media Browser plugins: Replace the totom-mozilla plugin with the mplayer one smoother playback there when handling wmv/asf/wma/mov/rm/ram files.
Java : I use OpenJDK (open java) and icedtea browser plugin for java media plugin it works just as well as the closed source java .

If you wish to download the flash videos from Yputube to test whether playback is smooth in a stand alone media player use the downloadhelper plugin for firefox.

carl19_68
May 23rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
What puzzles me is that I didn't have video issue until hardy heron. I am relucant to go back because my DWL 122 is now "plug and play", and so is the Page Pro printer and the sound. Fiesty worked those the first 2 of those but never did the sound. I was confused by some of your hints, but I'll read the post a fourth time before I start asking questions. Thanks.

carl19_68
May 27th, 2008, 08:04 PM
ok, I have tried the suggestions and video is still flakey. Any ideas?