PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] just upgraded to heron, but no sound

jake23
May 22nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
I just upgraded from edgy eft to heron. I did a clean install rather than merely upgrading on top of eft.

Everything is working great, except for sound. I'm clueless here. Any suggestions? Thanks!

wolfen69
May 22nd, 2008, 07:19 PM
in terminal:

lspci
we need to know what sound card you have.

Novus
May 22nd, 2008, 07:33 PM
I had sound problems too.. for me it was simple :) check System > Preference > Sound. Check that pulse audio is selected.
and Xchat refused to play sound at events, I just needed to set paplay as external program.

Bubba64
May 22nd, 2008, 08:22 PM
in terminal:

lspci
we need to know what sound card you have.

This lspci code is the best way to identify your sound card and other info that will allow this poster to direct you. I have pulse audio disabled on my computer that is not the answer.

jake23
May 22nd, 2008, 10:07 PM
I had sound problems too.. for me it was simple :) check System > Preference > Sound. Check that pulse audio is selected.
and Xchat refused to play sound at events, I just needed to set paplay as external program.

Thank you Novus!

I switched over to pulse audio and I now have sound!

I didn't have to do that when I installed edgy eft, so I was dumbfounded when I did the clean install yesterday. This is the first time I've upgraded since being converted to ubuntu. Thanks again!

Bubba64
May 22nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
Thank you Novus!

I switched over to pulse audio and I now have sound!

I didn't have to do that when I installed edgy eft, so I was dumbfounded when I did the clean install yesterday. This is the first time I've upgraded since being converted to ubuntu. Thanks again!

I stand corrected, usually the problem is the sound card. If you have problems with types of programs playing install Ubuntu restricted extras from add remove along with the gstreamer and vlc and ffmpeg stuff.