PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] dual screen nvidia geforce mx440

trikster_x
May 22nd, 2008, 04:57 AM
I am new to Ubuntu and linux. Though I do love this program, I cannot fully switch over from windows for a very simple reason: I can set up windows for dual screen, seperate resolutions. This enables me to use the s-video out on my video card to play my saved media on my 640x480 tv without affecting my monitor's resolution of 1024x768. Though it would be nice to have this same option through Ubuntu (then I could completely lose windows:) ), I would settle for something that would allow me to just get a desktop displayed on my tv, though I am not willing to sacrifice picture quality. I was using linux mint for about three weeks and I could get a desktop expanded across my tv, but picture quality was horrible when I tried to play any videos. I am very new to all this still, so if you could take me through the process step by step, it would be much appreciated. I am able to use a terminal when i am given the code to input. Regardless, Ubuntu is going to be my main OS since it does not crash three or four times a day like windows does. Thanks in advance for any help that you might be able to give me.

thewho?
May 22nd, 2008, 04:59 AM
This is a fun one...ok not really. It isn't that bad, but here is a good wiki. It really involves installing the nvidia drivers and then configuring twinview. So here is the link to the wiki.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/dual-monitors-with-nvidia.html

trikster_x
May 22nd, 2008, 05:56 AM
Okay, that gave me dual screens with good picture quality, but now my monitor is stuck at a resolution of 800x600. The screen resolution tool in preferences will not show anything but 800x600. Is there a way to get my resolution back? And is there a way to keep my 1024x768 monitor resolution in twin view? 800x600 just makes everything to big. This is basically what I was looking for though, if I can get it to work at 1024x768. At this point the higher resolution is more important than dual screens. Thanks for the help with twinview.

trikster_x
May 22nd, 2008, 06:34 AM
Just reloaded nvidia drivers, but still stuck in 800x600. When I rebooted after removing I had a choice of four low resolutions, but when I rebooted after reloading it went back to just 800x600. What did I mess up to cause this?

trikster_x
June 9th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Ubuntu fixed itself. I still don't have the higher resolutions, but at least it goes to 1024x768 now. I have no clue how it happened, I just booted up one day and I had some of my resolutions back.

Pjotr123
June 9th, 2008, 06:45 PM
apply this:
http://ubuntutip.googlepages.com/bugsinubuntu
(number 2 )

trikster_x
July 19th, 2008, 01:20 AM
The nvidia settings program worked. Thank you. Now I can set my monitor where I like it.

Also, thanks to thewho. Editing the nvidia settings worked perfectly once I figured how to do it correctly.