PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] video problems, help please I dont' wanna go back to windows!!

tbird79
May 22nd, 2008, 04:44 AM
Hello all, I am a total linux noob having trouble with video on Ubuntu. I've installed the latest Ubuntu on my laptop, an Inspiron 6400 w/C2D t7400 @2.16ghz, 2 gb ram, and ATI x1400 (pro?). I've got the ATI accelerated graphics driver enabled, but I don't have the catalyst control center. All video looks horrible, whether on Totem or VLC. I've tried .avi's and .mkv's, the avi's seem kinda blurry, the lines don't look good, and the mkv's are not sharp at all, there is lots of tearing and lines don't look anything like they should. I should mention these vids work perfect in windows.

I'd like to install the CCC if possible, but the only instructions I could find on it told me to install a bunch of packages that are either not on my package list or are only close in name to what is on my list.

I am totally lost with this an would appreciate the help. I really don't wanna go back to windows.

Bakon Jarser
May 22nd, 2008, 04:49 AM
I'd suggest reading this thread all the way through and if you don't find anything there that works, post your questions to that thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=781839

tbird79
May 22nd, 2008, 05:02 AM
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

tbird79
May 22nd, 2008, 06:01 AM
Well I've done everything I possibly can from the information I can find and I still cannot get decent video playback, no matter which media player I use or which packages are installed. I've even tried entering tons of codes in the terminal, all recommended on the forum via links, and nothing. I don't even know what i'm entering into the terminal.

I've been at this for 12 hours now, trying to get .mkv's and .avi's to work proper and I can't do it. This is ridiculous. Why does it have to be so difficult to run video? I installed this OS and it automatically recognized and made my internet, external hard drive, audio, etc all work but it can't play a simple video file properly? I'm about to faceplant my laptop screen now that I'm looking at re-installing windows. 12 hours I'll never get back.

Any help/ideas anyone? I really dont' wanna have to pop that old XP disc in...

Bubba64
May 22nd, 2008, 07:27 AM
Well I've done everything I possibly can from the information I can find and I still cannot get decent video playback, no matter which media player I use or which packages are installed. I've even tried entering tons of codes in the terminal, all recommended on the forum via links, and nothing. I don't even know what i'm entering into the terminal.

I've been at this for 12 hours now, trying to get .mkv's and .avi's to work proper and I can't do it. This is ridiculous. Why does it have to be so difficult to run video? I installed this OS and it automatically recognized and made my internet, external hard drive, audio, etc all work but it can't play a simple video file properly? I'm about to faceplant my laptop screen now that I'm looking at re-installing windows. 12 hours I'll never get back.
Any help/ideas anyone? I really dont' wanna have to pop that old XP
disc in...

Generally if you go to add remove and add Ubuntu restricted extras and the gstreamer extras and vlc you should have all the codecs, and in synaptic there is win32 for dvd and one more I can't remember. Also the ffmpeg in add remove.

Bakon Jarser
May 24th, 2008, 07:22 AM
If you haven't given up already this should fix your problem.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683&highlight=howto+vlc