PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] getting sound "normal"?

eurostyle360
May 22nd, 2008, 04:00 AM
hey im using ubuntu hardy and my audio is Realtek ALC888

basically im just wondering if theres a way to boost the volume past what ubuntu will let it go. It seems that at max volume its not as loud as it would be in windows. is this normal? im using a 5.1 speaker setup, could that be affecting it?

if i want to configure surround or audio quality, what should i edit? pulseaudio config? alsa config? both?

before and after i configure surround, i will still not get any surround from vlc or totem watching a movie with a 5.1 AC3 audio track. the surround sound test works properly, though. does that mean that there is something in vlc or totem i need to configure to get surround audio from my videos?

sorry for asking three questions in one post with vague details. if i need to provide more info please let me know. thanks! and please help! dont let me go back to windows :cry:

Silent Ninja
September 8th, 2008, 07:43 PM
This is a really old thread, but nobody answered it, and I want to have that extra loud volume setting that I previously loved on windows. Cannot alsa normalize and/or boost volume before the output ?