PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Does anyone know of a network monitor app for measuring download usage?

garethsimpsonuk
May 22nd, 2008, 12:51 AM
Can anyone recommend a monitoring tool for measuring total download usage? Ive been looking around and have found quite few but would like some opinions.

I run gutsy with samba / lamp and torrentflux the thing is virgin.net in uk have a fair usage policy which I seem to break if im not careful. This is mainly down to using torrents between 5 - 2 pm.
I would like to watch how much bandwidth each box is using with daily / weekly monthly stats.

I start x gnome when I need to but it's usually headless so a GUI would be nice but even better a web gui like webmin / PHPmyadmin .

I don't really want a cmd line only app.

Cheers

arsenic23
May 22nd, 2008, 03:45 AM
Well, I can't think of a good non CLI tool. But I can recommend vnstat, as it is very easy to setup and use.

Just vnstat -d for daily, vnstat -m for monthly, and vnstat -h for hourly.

Patb
May 22nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
Gareth, I'll give a second vote for vnstat. Couldn't you have it run the output to text which you could then incorporate into a web format? Not my field, so I can't say how but it would seem easy for someone competent.

Cheers, Pat.

Onesimus
May 22nd, 2008, 09:10 AM
You could also use gkrellm. It has a network monitor on it. By clicking on the small square in the right hand corner of the network window, a new window appears displaying the upload/download usage for daily, weekly and monthly.

gkrellm is also able to monitor a lot more of the system (e.g. temperatures, etc. etc.)

garethsimpsonuk
May 22nd, 2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, yea I've heard of vnstat. A cli app would probably be better for viewing remotely if there is no web gui.

I think I'll go with that one. One question though will it tell me a totals of all the boxes on the network?

Virgin look at everyones usage each week and they then throttle down to 256kb/s the people who are in the top ten percent for a week and so on. So I need to work out an average of what will keep me below the threshold.

Will vnstat provide this?
PatB that sounds like a good idea I guess someones probably already wrote a script for this already. It's beyond my skills.
Would it be best done in bash? I could then write a php script to display the output on my home website.

Just a thought do people write there own webmin modules / addons? Is it open source? I'm gonna have google and find out.

Cheers guys

garethsimpsonuk
May 22nd, 2008, 12:21 PM
I've just come across a ubuntu page I didn't know was there. This seems to have some links for net monitor apps.

[URL="http://https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Servers"]

garethsimpsonuk
May 22nd, 2008, 12:22 PM
Whoops, and I'm supposed to be a web designer, struggling with bbcode

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Servers

shibu
May 22nd, 2008, 01:25 PM
a few more ....

ifstat - InterFace STATistics Monitoring
iftop - displays bandwidth usage information on an network interface
ipband - daemon for subnet bandwidth monitoring with reporting via email
iperf - Internet Protocol bandwidth measuring tool