PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sound everywhere.. except firefox.

DavidGX
May 21st, 2008, 03:17 AM
I use a USB headset. Audio works everywhere else, linux sound effects, VLC media player, etc. The one area it doesn't work is firefox. I don't hear sound from youtube, flash or anything else.

In the sound settings I have everything set to "USB Audio" and the mixer set to "Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 (Alsa mixer)"

I'm on Hardy Herron, AMD64. I'm using the Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 USB headset.

Any ideas on how I can tell firefox to use the headset?

Temüjin
May 21st, 2008, 03:23 AM
Try:

sudo apt-get install libflashsupport

If that doesn't work, try starting firefox from the terminal to see if it's outputting error messages.

DavidGX
May 21st, 2008, 03:44 AM
I installed libflashsupport, restarted and still nothing. I started firefox via a terminal and got no error messages while normal browsing or attempting to watch a youtube video.

DavidGX
May 22nd, 2008, 07:58 AM
After un-muting the laptops speakers, it seems that's what firefox seems to want to use. Is there any way to tell firefox to use my USB headset?

DavidGX
May 24th, 2008, 01:15 PM
So.... any ideas?

DavidGX
May 25th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Nothing yet..

DavidGX
May 28th, 2008, 02:20 AM
Nothing yet.

swiftacle
May 29th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I'm having the same issue, except I have a desktop with the audio going through my JVC amplifier. Totem and Rhythmbox work great, VLC and Firefox for some reason shoot the sound through the headphones plug on the front of the machine.

I tried running Firefox through the terminal and got these errors (over and over again):

(npviewer.bin:8265): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_hide: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(npviewer.bin:8265): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

Any help?

minky311
August 30th, 2008, 06:25 AM
I had this same problem except with a usb sound adapter.
I just changed the default sound device by following this guide http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449&highlight=82801G+Sound
It is about halfway down the page where it says configuring default sound cards.