PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Delphi compiler

AmericasCup222
May 21st, 2008, 01:27 AM
Hey guys,
I am interested in learning a new computer language (used to know some VB and disliked it) and was considering learning Delphi. However, I was wondering if anyone could locate a free (as in cost, not necessarily freedom) compiler for me. It would be greatly appreciated as I have had trouble finding one. Also, if you would have other recomendations on what language to learn, I would be open to any suggestions. (I have considered lisp, C++, Java, Perl, Ruby, Pascal, and a few others) Thank you, AC222

P.S. Admins, im sorry if this post is not in the correct catigory but I couldn't think of a better place to put it. Thank you.

kellemes
May 21st, 2008, 12:31 PM
Hey guys,
I am interested in learning a new computer language (used to know some VB and disliked it) and was considering learning Delphi. However, I was wondering if anyone could locate a free (as in cost, not necessarily freedom) compiler for me. It would be greatly appreciated as I have had trouble finding one. Also, if you would have other recomendations on what language to learn, I would be open to any suggestions. (I have considered lisp, C++, Java, Perl, Ruby, Pascal, and a few others) Thank you, AC222

P.S. Admins, im sorry if this post is not in the correct catigory but I couldn't think of a better place to put it. Thank you.

Lazarus/Free Pascal tries to be as compatible as possible with Delphi, pretty cool.
http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/

maximinus_uk
May 23rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Nothing particularly wrong with Pascal (I had to learn it an university, some 17 years ago..), but if I were you I'd switch to something more modern. There are better choices nowadays.

Personally, I would go and learn Python - it's a nice language. You'll probably pick it up quick, there are lots of libs for it and plenty of other people use it, so support is easy to get if you run into problems. And not to mention that there are plenty of tutorials on the net to get you started.

Of the ones you actually mention, Perl is a decent language, and I've heard good things about Ruby but not given it much time myself. Both occupy a similar space to Python, which i consider better. Please avoid Java and especially C++!!!

Personally I try to use LISP whenever I can but that might be a few years down the line for you.

prshah
May 23rd, 2008, 04:08 PM
Nothing particularly wrong with Pascal (I had to learn it an university, some 17 years ago..), but if I were you I'd switch to something more modern.

Actually, the version of Pascal used in Delphi was called Object Pascal, and was a very powerful extension on the original Pascal. It implemented (very powerfully) object oriented principles, and was thus far removed from any older pascal language/compilers.

Delphi was a revolutionary product when released; it produced true native exe's unlike the VB's of that time.

It had it's quirks: mainly, the main program window was actually hidden, and that controlled user created windows and dialogs.

fiddledd
May 23rd, 2008, 04:11 PM
I've used Lazarus on Linux and Windows and it's pretty good. You won't have as many components as in Delphi and you won't be able to convert Delphi projects to Lazarus unless they are fairly simple and don't contain any non standard components. BTW, I used Lazarus to code a GUI Frontend for vnstat very easily in Ubuntu (for my own use). So yes, Lazarus is good. However if you want to code apps that others can use and maybe get accepted into the repositories Lazarus won't be any good for you as the source code is useless to others unless they also use have Lazarus installed. I believe I'm right in saying that you need to distribute the source code in order to share with others, get in the repos etc. So I'd suggest Python as an alternative.

hessiess
May 23rd, 2008, 04:15 PM
C/C++ would be worth learning as thay are still the fastest compiled language. Its not as hard as some people make it out to be eather.