PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Beginner questions about email & BindDNS

Mech13
May 20th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I have a decent amount of knowledge about computers, but when it comes to servers and command line interfaces I’m not all that good but i'm starting to get the hang of it.

So far this is my set up:
I have a good desktop computer that I am running Ubuntu 8.04 with a 15Mbit up and downstream connection using a static IP address with no blocked ports. So far I have configured Ubuntu to its own static IP address inside of my home network, did the Port Forwarding on my router to the server (ports 80, 25, 110, 20-21, 10000) and have signed up for a web page using GoDaddy.com. I’m currently using GoDaddy's Total DNS service and entered my IP address under the ARecord to get it forward to my home server. I also do most of the management of the server from Webmin.

My questions are:
I have my webpage configured to allow users to set up usernames to access the forums. But, I can't get the confirmation e-mails to be sent out; I’m assuming that this is because I don't have the email properly configured on my server (the webpage code has worked before, just on a different server). I was hoping someone could tell me how to configure Sendmail, PHP or SMTP as I can use anyone of them for the autogen confirmation e-mail. Sendmail is currently installed, and it's the one that i'm trying to use.

I was thinking about using the BindDNS setup instead of using GoDaddys Total DNS service. Is that a good way for me to go?

Also, I get 2 errors when I boot up my server. The first is "Starting DHCP server dhcpd3" [fail]
and
"apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1 for Servername"
What should i do to resolve these errors?

Mech13
May 21st, 2008, 08:26 PM
Update:
I have done some googleing and searching through the forums and found the BIND DNS post by tomtom_in_eire: Bind DNS (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=236093)

But i'm not sure how to bridge what he said to do with a godaddy.com account.
After more googling i was able to find a post that explains how to configure bindDNS with godaddy, but it's for openSuSE. Configure Bind in openSuSE (http://torqzone.com/index.php/2007/12/22/configure-bind-to-work-with-godaddy/)

I'm really stuck on this problum, could someone please help me out?

Mech13
May 21st, 2008, 09:02 PM
Sendmail Update
After a long night of strugelling with sendmail, these are the error messages i'm still getting after i set it up.

WARNING: Local host name (server) is not qualified; see cf/README: WHO AM I?
/etc/,ao;/aliases: 2 aliases, longest 8 bytes, 26 bytes total

and

Warning: These messages were issued while creating sendmail.cf make sure they are benign before starting sendmail!

Errors is generating sendmail.cf
***ERROR: FEATURE() should be before MAILER()
***MAILER('local') must appear after FEATURE('always_add_domain')***ERROR: FEATURE() should be before MAILER()
***MAILER('local') must appear after FEATURE('allmasquerade') ***ERROR: FEATURE() should be before MAILER()