PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question About Manually Downloading Applications

lisar915
May 20th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Hi everyone,

I recently downloaded the RSS Owl newsreader manually. And it's working. But I'm just curious as to why it's not showing up under "Applications" or under the Synaptic Package Manager.

Thanks.

anfractuosities
May 20th, 2008, 11:12 PM
try
sudo update-menus

anfractuosities
May 20th, 2008, 11:15 PM
if that doesnt work try this

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-add-entries-in-gnome-menu.html

If you donot know the command for the program, open the containing folder for the app and find the program file.

It maybe a hidden folder in your home directory.

Open it up and hit ctrl+h to show hidden files

lisar915
May 20th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Thank you. I followed the instruction on the site you recommended. RSS Owl now shows up under "Applications." However it's still not showing in the Synaptic Package Manager when I did a search for installed programs. Would you know why that is?

Thanks again.

anfractuosities
May 20th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I don't believe it is in the synaptic...try searching through all available apps and see if it appears. If it does and is correctly installed, the check box will be colored in.

y-lee
May 20th, 2008, 11:51 PM
RSS Owl is a java application the OP downloaded to his or her desktop it will not show up in synaptic because it was not installed that way and is not as far as I know in the repos.

lisar915
May 20th, 2008, 11:51 PM
So are you saying it's normal for RSS Owl to be listed under "Applications" but not in the Synaptic Package Manager?

Thanks.

shifty_powers
May 20th, 2008, 11:54 PM
pretty much. synaptic can only show programs from the repositories fo software that are set up for ubuntu, though you can tell it of extra repositories....

lisar915
May 20th, 2008, 11:58 PM
RSS Owl is a java application the OP downloaded to his or her desktop it will not show up in synaptic because it was not installed that way and is not as far as I know in the repos.

Thanks. Now just out of curiosity, how would I un-install a manually downloaded application? Would going to "Applications" then "Add/Remove Programs" do the trick? Or is there something else I need to do?

Maestro23
May 21st, 2008, 12:01 AM
Thanks. Now just out of curiosity, how would I un-install a manually downloaded application? Would going to "Applications" then "Add/Remove Programs" do the trick? Or is there something else I need to do?

No, because you installed a program that was outside of the Ubuntu Repositories. Synatpic and Add/Remove are for dealing with program from the Repositories.

What kind of file was the program you installed? .tar, .deb, .bin?

lisar915
May 21st, 2008, 01:16 AM
Well I manually removed RSS Owl. However, on their download page, its says the Linux version is gtk.