PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Compiz on kubuntu 8.04

browny254
May 20th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Hi, I tried setting up Compiz when i upgraded to 8.04 and havent previously used it, but I have no idea how to get it to work. I go to KMenu -> System -> Desktop Effects and it gets me to install the compiz engine which it does automatically. then when i select Extra Effects and apply that nothing happens...what else do I have to do to get it to work?

Golem XIV
May 20th, 2008, 04:41 PM
You should install compizconfig-settings-manager either from the console or via Synaptic and then select the plugins that you want... Any specific effect you're interested in?

browny254
May 20th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Ill try that. the one effect im really after is the one that displays all windows at once.

browny254
May 20th, 2008, 04:52 PM
ok when i try starting compiz i get this

$ compiz
Checking for Xgl: not present.
No whitelisted driver found
aborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/kwin

browny254
May 20th, 2008, 04:58 PM

$ compiz

$ compiz

and when i close the console after doing that it pretty much crashes my desktop...all the titlebars disappear and my keyboard stopped working except for the tab button.

Golem XIV
May 20th, 2008, 05:03 PM
What's your video card? Looks like you need to install the restricted driver to get Compiz to work

browny254
May 20th, 2008, 05:25 PM
i have a nvidia geforce go 7300.

i went here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia and it appears i dont have the restricted drivers manager that it talks about for installing on 7.10 (i have 8.04) so i followed the instructions for 7.04. am i doing the right thing or should i be looking somewhere else?

Flare183
May 20th, 2008, 06:06 PM
It means that you must have your graphics card on the compatibility list for compiz.

browny254
May 20th, 2008, 06:08 PM
It means that you must have your graphics card on the compatibility list for compiz.
ok, so what should i do then?

browny254
May 20th, 2008, 07:25 PM
alright, after a bit of playing around i finally got the restricted drivers installed and compiz is working, except my resolution is at a maximum value of 640x480, how do i change this so i can get my normal resolution of 1280x800 (or higher than that if possible)

Golem XIV
May 20th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Did you install the drivers from the "Hardware drivers" application? That's the "official" way of doing it.

To change the resolution try installing nvidia-xconfig (through apt-get or Synaptic). Before you run it, though, make a copy of your current configuration:

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
so if you screw something up and you boot into terminal mode you can get it back with

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Good luck!