PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Consecutive Hardy Install Hangs at 0%

DeLaNooch
May 20th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I have been using Feisty on my notebook happily since the beginning of the last school year. Last night I decided to finally upgrade.

I downloaded the Hardy AMD64 .iso and a fresh install went off without a hitch. Once it was up and running, everything seemed smooth and fast for the few minutes I poked around. (I didn't get to actually start messing with my wireless card or video drivers or anything.)

I then realized that I forgot to set a mount point for my FAT32 partition that I use for all my file storage. Meaning I couldn't figure out how to access all the files still in that partition. The only way I knew to go back and set that mount point was to fresh install again. Multiple installs don't bother me, since I had to do it about a dozen times to finally get Feisty working how I wanted it.

However, the second install hung at 0%. It said something along the lines of "Removing existing OS files" (not verbatim by any means). They system didnt actually "freeze" it just sat there working for a very long time. I tried a few more times and the same thing happened.

What gives? Anyone know a way around it? Maybe uncheck the format box besides my root partition? Maybe just be more patient?

Thanks.

PmDematagoda
May 20th, 2008, 03:51 PM
How long did you actually wait? Also, did you try formatting the drive manually using the partition editor provided in the Live CD to see if that fixes the problem?

DeLaNooch
May 20th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I'd say I waited in the ball park of 20 minutes. Yes, I did (and always) use the "manual" partition editor when installing. I have 4 partitions on my drive that never change. Ext3 root, Swap, Fat32, and unused space. The former 2 are formatted and mounted at each install, the Fat32 partition is mounted as /j but not formatted, and the unused space is just that. I simply forgot to mount the Fat32 partition as /j on my first install, so was reinstalling to fix that problem. Now the consecutive installs hang.

PmDematagoda
May 20th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Did you try formatting the drive using the built-in partition editor prior to the reinstall?

DeLaNooch
May 20th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Ah! Sorry, I didn't realize that's what you meant on your first reponse. I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

DeLaNooch
May 21st, 2008, 04:42 PM
That did the trick! Thanks.

PmDematagoda
May 21st, 2008, 04:52 PM
That did the trick! Thanks.

Glad it worked out:).