PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade and transfer to CF card

Risotto
May 20th, 2008, 02:44 PM
This is a two part question. I am currently running Gutsy very happily on an 80Gb HDD with three partitions on it. I would like to move to Hardy but I also want to install a 16Gb CF card as the primary IDE source and have the 80Gb HDD as a secondary store (for music and video etc). The question is how best to achieve this?

I.e. should I:
1. Transfer Gutsy to the CF card and then upgrade to Hardy?
2. Upgrade to Hardy and then transfer it to the CF card?
3. Do a clean install of Hardy onto the CF card and then transfer my data across?
4. Do something else altogether?

Any thoughts and advise would be much appreciated!!!

Many thanks

cdtech
May 20th, 2008, 03:12 PM
3. Do a clean install of Hardy onto the CF card and then transfer my data across?

It really depends on how much data you have that you want to save.

If you need to keep your data from Gutsy, then you'll need to do a complete backup, install Gutsy on the CF card and then do a restore. This would be needed in order to update, the now existing data you currently have in Gutsy, to Hardy.

Can you boot from your CF card?

Just something to think about....

Risotto
May 20th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Thank you. I know it's better to do a clean install but I've gradually got Gutsy working exactly as I want over the past few months, so I wanted to take as much of that with me on the upgrade path.

Yes I can boot from the CF card - I have an IDE adapter for it which means that it's just treated like another hard drive. In fact, I had Damn Small Linux on an old 64Mb card which was my emergency option!