PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] WMV or MP4 to DVD whats best and what tools to use?

k3lt01
May 20th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Hi everyone.

In Australia our national broadcaster the ABC has made it possible to download some of its shows. They give you two options, WMV or MP4.I would like to be able to convert the downloaded files to DVD format so my family, whose DVD players are cheap units that only play DVDs, can watch the shows on DVD.

So my question is what file format is better to download and convert to DVD and what tool, I only want 1 program that can do it all, do I get to do it?

Thanks in Advance.
Michael.

ktat
September 11th, 2009, 11:08 PM
I would really like an answer to this thread too :)

rob-ward
September 12th, 2009, 09:12 PM
My instant reaction to this would be to download the mp4, however the conversion of either format to dvd is possible so I would choose the file format that they have produced the better quality video in(they may be identical meaning you should choose mp4)

You can then use a variety of applications to conver them into dvd's, vlc should be able to do it and it has gui options which may make it easier, the other options are mencoder and transcode.

You could also use a program like mandvd or devede (both in the repos) that are designed to convert video files into dvd's without you needing to understand encoding of them.

I would download the apps I have mentioned specifically mandvd and devede and have a play soo if eithr is suitable.

Hope that helps

k3lt01
September 13th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Thanks for that Rob. I'll check out your suggestions later today.

Anders32
December 22nd, 2012, 04:19 PM
I have tried manDev and it does'nt even see the mpg4 files in a folder.
Warning: It installls unwanted software into Applications->Sound & Video.

overdrank
December 22nd, 2012, 04:21 PM
From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy).

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
Thread closed.