PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unstable Ubuntu Install

cferrell
May 20th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Alright, im having a lot of problems... Live CDs simply do not work on my computer, they freeze up. I've tried several, none work. I can get Ubuntu working by installing through the alternate CD, but its extremely unstable, and I never know whether its going to boot or not. Without making any changes to my computer, either the boot fails reading a "segmentation fault," or it freezes reading "rc-default main process (5152) terminated with status 139." Sometimes Ubuntu boots up, but freezes after I enter my password. And then sometimes it works beautifully. Anybody have any ideas, as I can think of absolutely no reason why Ubuntu, or linux, for that matter, should act like this. I've re-partitioned countless times over the past several days.

Franc88
May 20th, 2008, 01:04 AM
At least you got it to install. I'm still having problems installing the darn thing.

cferrell
May 20th, 2008, 02:45 AM
agreed, ive gotten it to boot correctly twice since I posted this... It just freezes up the rest of the time. I'm really confused though about why my live cd's dont work. When using a live cd, in verbose mode, it freezes up when trying to mount the filesystem. Should a live cd even be trying to mount a file system? I love ubuntu when I can get the damn thing running, and im fascinated by linux, but damn, i'm having a lot of problems.

iaculallad
May 20th, 2008, 03:01 AM
That's the joy of working with/using Linux, it's not always spoon-feeding/baby-sitting like that of it's counterpart windoze. It let us users work our brains out to know the reason on "why" did that happen, giving us brain exercises everyday :)

With those errors that you mentioned, its likely that you got yourself a defective LiveCD.

Suggestions:

1. The number one question to ask, Did you check the CD for defect? You can do this on the installation menu.
2. If you got any defect after checking, download (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download) an Ubuntu ISO file/torrent from a valid source then check if it has its correct MD5 hash before burning it with a slower speed (4x).
3. Post your hardware specs.

cferrell
May 20th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Negative, the live cds are good, they just simply dont work on my computer. I have to use the alternate cd.

Specs are as follows:
Intel d945gcpe mobo
Pentium D 3.0 ghz
1 gig ram
NVIDIA geforce fx 5500

In doing a little research, the intel website doesn't list the mobo as being compatible with linux, but doing a little searching yields a ton of search results where people are running linux no problem with the motherboard. I did a BIOS update earlier hoping that I might get lucky, but no luck. Its still booting occasionally, and when it does, it works great, but im still getting segmentation errors and rc-default crap about 75% of the time.

cferrell
May 20th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Alright, so im going out on a limb here, but i THINK that ubuntu is only booting after i've been in xp. That is, rebooting from ubuntu and going back into ubuntu freezes up my system, but restarting my computer from xp then entering ubuntu seems to work out fine. I haven't tested it thoroughly, but it hit me a short while back that I seem to remember it booting into ubuntu after i've been in xp. Sure enough, i was in xp, i rebooted into ubuntu, and it fired up... Anyone have any ideas?