PDA

View Full Version : [other] [SOLVED] Dell Latitude - OS choice

Inxsible
May 19th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I got me an old Dell Latitude C810 from my sis, which is currently running? no, make that "slow-walking" XP. Specs - PIIIm - 1133MHz, 256 MB, 30 GB, nVidia GeForce2 Go 32MB (probably shared)

I plan to change all that and run Linux. This will also be my "test machine" as is I would love to try out different distros on it.

I ran the Xubuntu 7.10 (just coz I had it) on it and it was pretty fast. The only problem I had was when the live CD starts up, it gives me a screen full of colored bars. I have to restart X to see the desktop. No biggie tho.

Anyway, I want 1 partition on it to be an Ubuntu derivative, just coz I am familiar with the Ubuntu family. Should it be Xubuntu of Fluxbuntu or Ubuntulite or a minimal install with some WM and DM?

Can someone walk me thru the differences between each of the above distros?

The other partition will be a test partition where I may try different OS'es like Arch and Zenwalk.

Things to keep in mind:
I almost always remove apps that I don't use -- even if they come installed by default
The OS should have the basics like automounting of USB drives and recognize mice.
Compiz would be nice if it works since I use the Scale feature a lot. Not sure if the card is capable tho.

Currently reading up on the FAQs of Ubuntulite and Fluxbuntu....

Opinions, Comments?

wolfen69
May 19th, 2008, 04:59 PM
i personally would try the xubuntu alternate cd. runs decent with only 256ram.