PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 3D Modeling Program Needed

Ameades
May 19th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a relatively simple 3D modeling program that is known to work in Ubuntu. I really wanted Google Sketch-up to work but I've just checked it out and it apparently still doesn't work with the 1.0 release of Wine.

Does anyone know of a good equivalent program, or maybe for a way to get Google Sketch-up to work properly??

I should probably mention that I am still very new to Linux.

Thanks for your time,

Andrew

TeoBigusGeekus
May 19th, 2008, 03:53 PM
The first thing that comes to mind is Blender
http://www.blender.org/
but it isn't that simple...

Cad/Cam, modelling software, etc. is a very sad story in Linux (see my signature) :(

Fenris_rising
May 19th, 2008, 03:54 PM
blender is the only one i personally know of. i have it on my PC now.
look in the add/remove programs thats where i found it. there is a very steep learning curve but there are stacks of tutorials on the blender site. also i have installed virtual box on my linux and have xp running in it so i can use google sketchup. i havent quite managed to share a folder between linux and the virtual xp to save my work to for easier access if i want to transfer the work to a usb stick or a cdr. in theory you can burn to cd and save to usb within the virtual XP but im still working on it. if you go with virtual box you will need to install XP as you would normally and you will need your product key. sorry i cant help much more than that, im only 3 weeks into ubuntu.......actually this is the 1st day of my 4th week yayyyyyy!!!!

Ameades
May 19th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks guys, I've downloaded blender and will give it a try. I'll probably set up a virtual XP just for Sketch-Up as well, at least until Wine can run it.