PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] How to configure firefox for streaming media?

bhadotia
May 19th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I am trying to listen to radio on net (for the first time). When I click on the link the firefox plays it in the mplayer plug-in. But it is not playing it. I stops by itself after loading the playlist. I tried playing it in vlc (copied the link in it) , but that also didn't work . When I downloaded the file through vlc and opened it with totem it played it (very well).

Now I tried configuring firefox to use totem to play radio, but without any luck.
So can anyone please help me in this regard?[-o<

spiderbatdad
May 19th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Not sure what plugins firefox offers for streaming radio. I use streamtuner and streamripper from synaptic package manager. Set streamtuner up like the screenshot to play through totem, otherwise you need xmms. The last line in the screenshot shows the script for using streamripper to save the files. By starting streamtuner and going Edit>>Preferences the default play is changed.

bhadotia
May 19th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Well , I have to say that is a very good software (streamtuner). I have just tried it for half an hour ,but I think its great .
Thanks for telling about it .

Still , I would like to know how to configure firefox. So please help me out with it.

bhadotia
July 18th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I installed the gecko media player plug-in along with gnome-mplayer and I can play almost any streaming media.:)

philinux
July 18th, 2008, 01:37 PM
This is odd. I've a default install and streaming audio works fine.

bhadotia
July 18th, 2008, 02:02 PM
This is odd. I've a default install and streaming audio works fine.
Lol.. I thought nothing ever worked by default in ubuntu:)

But Really, earlier I had the m-player plug-in installed and I was just testing it and, it was not working. I don't listen to radio that much - only ocassionaly
Heres how my applications tab looks like (I think its more comprehensive):