PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] is it possible to run ubuntu without an internal hard disk?

sxytrillian
May 19th, 2008, 01:25 PM
hi friends,

i am using windows xp ystrdy when i booted my system its showing "an disk read error" press "ctrl + alt + del to restart". but nothing works for me.. so i took my hard disk out and gave it to service it.and i need to use my system for browsing.One of my friend suggested me like i can use ubuntu. so is it possible to use ubuntu? if it is give me the steps to use it. please some one help me in this aspect. i am having 2gb usb drive, i.e pendrive. can we do anything with that to use my system? and also another question is it possible to recover the data in my hard disk using ubuntu? please i need some answers..plz help me..

Cypher
May 19th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Yes you can use the Live CD to boot and use Ubuntu from. You can also install Linux on a USB Flash drive and have a way of holding persistent data. The LiveCD doesn't remember anything between each reboot..

sxytrillian
May 19th, 2008, 03:50 PM
thanks now i can able to browse.. is it possible to recover my data in my hard disk using ubuntu? if yes please guide me with how to do steps? i need to recover some important datas.. please help me out...

'

Cadmus
May 19th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I've only ever done file rceovery once using a different distro called "Recovery Is Possible" or "RIP", there's very little documentation, so beware.

RIP contains a program called 'photorec' that can be used to scan for files by type (photos, music, office docs) and copy them to another device or indeed across a network.

aktiwers
May 19th, 2008, 04:00 PM
thanks now i can able to browse.. is it possible to recover my data in my hard disk using ubuntu? if yes please guide me with how to do steps? i need to recover some important datas.. please help me out...

'

You should be able to do that. Just put the Harddisc back in, and boot from the Ubuntu CD.
It should mount your disc and let you save your files.

If it does not find your disc, come back and let us know. I have saved lots of data this way.