PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Does Intel Based Hardware Work Better?

jrkilroy
May 19th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Here is the bulletpoint history so far:

I have some Linux experience, but I haven't touched it within the past 7-8 years.
I am trying Ubuntu because I want to figure out if I can be happy a Linux distro
I am currently using Mac OS X
I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 to my G5, but I was unable to get it install as a dual boot Mac/Ubuntu. (Hours, and hours partition, re-pratitioning, clearing pram, etc, etc.)
I am now having trouble getting my video/monitor to work.

Is the problem my hardware? I know I'm using a community supported distro on an older architecture, but is that the problem?

Part of the reason I'm doing this is because I want to evaluate Ubuntu as a replacement for my Mac. Macs are expensive, and I woun't be able to upgrade my system anytime soon if I stick with Mac. So I'm considering a white box intel based system.

If I were using a 'stock' Intel based hardware configuration, would Ubuntu just install and work?

My current setup is

Mac G5 2GHz
4 GB RAM
250GB HD
ATI x850 256MB
Samsung Syncmaster 226BW

My current problem is graphics related, similar to this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=771507

I apprecaite any assitance you can provide, I just don't know how much more time to sink into my experiment.

aeiah
May 19th, 2008, 01:16 PM
intel graphics drivers are well supported in linux due to their open nature. they tend to 'just work', although intel just do onboard graphics rather than dedicated cards. onboard graphics should be fine for compiz and whatnot, but if you want more power then go with nvidia. im guessing your problems mostly stem from using an ATI graphics card. you should probably be weary of some of the newest nvidia cards though. support tends to be delayed on linux as opposed to windows and as such, the most recent cards may take some fiddling to get working.

as with any new hardware, its always good to do a search before buying to see if people have had any problems.