PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] gnome panels keep moving

Zedzero
May 19th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I'm using two gnome panels: one for tasklist and one for everything else.
I want both of them to be at the bottom of the screen, tasklist being at top.

But whenever i restart or logout/login, they randomly move. sometimes panel 1 is on top of the other, sometimes panel 2. (They are at the bottom of the screen as they should be, but wrong order). I guess whicever loads first gets the bottom place, and the other one places on top of it.

How can i correct this?

abhiroopb
May 19th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Thats really odd. Which version of *buntu do you have? how many monitors do you have?

Zedzero
May 19th, 2008, 12:35 PM
ubuntu 8.04 with all updates.
and only one monitor.

Zedzero
May 19th, 2008, 11:27 PM
can anyone help please?
(shameless bump)

medya
September 6th, 2008, 10:43 PM
me too I have the same problem in the year 2008 ! in ubuntu hardy heron .

medya
September 7th, 2008, 12:44 PM
oops sorry I thought this posted was sent in 2006 .

ajcrm125
November 3rd, 2008, 06:55 PM
Yep... same exact problem here. Been driving me nutz.

cariboo907
November 3rd, 2008, 09:10 PM
Have you tried right clicking on the panel and locking it?

If you right click anywhere on the panel you will see a selection on the menu called Allow Panel to Be Moved, click that then move the panel to where you want, then right click on the panel again and select Lock Panel Position.

Jim

S0m3th1ngw13rd
January 24th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Same issue here, both panels are always reversed when I log back in. They are locked when I log out, and when I log back in they are in reverse of what they were and unlocked. #-o

Macca1024
March 14th, 2009, 04:42 AM
I'm having the same trouble. It's trivial, but really annoying. The panel properties don't have anything to indicate a stacking order, so I suspect that stacking panels on top of each other might not be the intended usage. In any case SOMETHING has to dictate which order they go in, I just wish I knew what it was. :(

Macca1024
March 14th, 2009, 05:00 AM
And within minutes of typing that, I decide to go have another look, and I think I've found it! Looking in the configuration editor (under applications->system tools in the default menu) there's a key by the name of
"/apps/panel/general/toplevel_id_list" which lists the active panels. I swapped the order of the panels in the list, and now they appear to show up how I want them. :D

73ckn797
March 14th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Have you tried right clicking on the panel and locking it?

If you right click anywhere on the panel you will see a selection on the menu called Allow Panel to Be Moved, click that then move the panel to where you want, then right click on the panel again and select Lock Panel Position.

Jim

+1

You can configure panels however you wish and "save" the changes.

Macca1024
March 15th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Ok, I spoke too soon, my idea didn't actually fix it, as the next time I booted up they were back around the wrong way.

73ckn797, that's not really helping us, unfortunately. Locking the panels makes sure that it remembers what orientation we're setting the panel to, but the trouble we're having is when we've got two (or more) panels with the same orientation. It won't remember what order to stack them in against the screen edge.

Gnome-panel must be using SOMETHING to determine which way it puts them (as it consistently puts them the way I don't want them) but I can't find any doco suggesting what that something is (possibly as this might be outside the intended usage of the panels?).

Berserker v7
March 15th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Just a bit of clarification... does the order change alternately every time or is it always that the panel you want to be above the other shows up below it?

Macca1024
March 16th, 2009, 04:17 AM
For me it's the second option. Every time I start the computer up, the panels are in the reverse order that I want them. I suppose I could just move everything on the top panel to the bottom one (and vice versa), but it's bugging me that I can't just tell them what order to sit in.

Berserker v7
March 16th, 2009, 07:39 AM
For me it's the second option. Every time I start the computer up, the panels are in the reverse order that I want them. I suppose I could just move everything on the top panel to the bottom one (and vice versa), but it's bugging me that I can't just tell them what order to sit in.

Thats pretty much it then... just shift all items on top panel to bottom one and vice versa... one-time business, not much of a bother... why blame the system when such practically simple solutions exist? ;)

orethrius
March 16th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Thats pretty much it then... just shift all items on top panel to bottom one and vice versa... one-time business, not much of a bother... why blame the system when such practically simple solutions exist? ;)
I'd imagine that'd be because there's apparently no drag-and-drop simple solution, where it does what you'd expect, and there's some variable somewhere that dictates this behaviour.

Eneerge
April 30th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I've seemed to find a solution for this without creating a new panel. In a configuration file, the bottom panel is loaded first, and then the top panel is loaded second, which makes it appear on the top everytime. You can change the startup order by modifying ~/.gconf/apps/panel/general/%gconf.xml

What you need to modify is at the very bottom of the file. Here is the bit you need to modify:

<entry name="toplevel_id_list" mtime="1241080568" type="list" ltype="string">
<li type="string">
<stringvalue>bottom_panel_screen0</stringvalue>
</li>
<li type="string">
<stringvalue>top_panel_screen0</stringvalue>
</li>
</entry>
</gconf>
You need to modify this file so that it looks like this (starting after the "object_id_list" entry):

<entry name="toplevel_id_list" mtime="1241080568" type="list" ltype="string">
<li type="string">
<stringvalue>top_panel_screen0</stringvalue>
</li>
<li type="string">
<stringvalue>bottom_panel_screen0</stringvalue>
</li>
</entry>
</gconf>
All you do is change the order so that the bottom_panel_screen0 entry is last instead of first. This fixed the problem for me.