PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.04 reboot very slow

wariskampar
May 19th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Hello,

I found that 'my'(because a lot of people say it suppose to be fast) Ubuntu reboot very slow (about 2 minute plus) compare to XP (about 1 minute plus). Is it because I install Ubuntu on Logical drive while XP on Primary drive. I really dont know. Btw this is the structure of my partition(from Partition Magic within XP)
Local Disk (C:) NTFS Primary
(*) Extended Primary
New Volume (E:) NTFS Logical
Local Disk (F:) NTFS Logical
Local Disk (*.) Linux Ext3 Logical
SWAPSPACE2 (*.) Linux Swap Logical

Whay should I do to enjoy fast reboot in Ubuntu? Btw, I'm using Intel Pentium M, 1.83Gz. 1024 RAM. Any assitance highly appreciated

hermes0710
May 19th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Can you post your /etc/fstab file?

kesman
May 19th, 2008, 12:04 PM
It doesn't matter what partition yuo have Ubuntu installed. What you could do, is to boot up Ubuntu and log in normally. Then in terminal, run

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

and find the line with
#defoptions="quiet splash"
and remove those words. Then reboot your machine and you should now see what's going in during Ubuntu boot. You'll notice the step it hangs and then post back here and we'd see what could be done to it.

philinux
May 19th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Takes mine about 12 seconds to shutdown. About 40 seconds after grub to login screen. Then 20 seconds to load desktop.

If you install and run startupmanager you can tick the box to show text at startup. You can then see the boot messages scrolling by. You may see the boot process hang somewhere.

Other option is to edit grub and remove the quiet option from the kernel line. Same effect as above.

hermes0710
May 19th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I think that his discs are checked for errors every single time, he should post his fstab file

wariskampar
May 19th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Hello,

@hermes0710: I dont know how to get the fstab file. "bash: /etc/fstab: Permission denied" is the message i got when I enter that line in terminal.

@kesman: i'll do that now and will post feedback immediately.

wow! this community is super fast!

hermes0710
May 19th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Open a terminal and execute:

cat /etc/fstab

Post the output here

wariskampar
May 19th, 2008, 12:40 PM
@hermes0710: here is my fstab

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda7
UUID=a3972a39-4b18-43b1-9848-f5788689ccbf / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sda8
UUID=177befd4-be3f-4cb6-bc23-0357a348b971 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

@kesman: i already delete #defoptions="quiet splash". here is the result
shutdown 12 second
GRUB to Login 65-70 second
Login to Desktop 20 -25 second

hermes0710
May 19th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Your fstab is fine. Following philinux's suggestion, in which part while starting do you see the longest time spending?

wariskampar
May 19th, 2008, 12:56 PM
@hermes0710: the longest is from GRUB to Login. The progress bar will stop for a while in the middle (of the bar) as if processing something. Hope my explanation is clear enough for you.

hermes0710
May 19th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Not exactly... While from grub to login, do you see any text? (You are supposed to see the progress bar and below that a box with text indicating current process). Enable text in usplash in order to see from the text in which operation spends most of the startup time

wariskampar
May 19th, 2008, 01:25 PM
OK. I install startup manager using Synaptic Package Manager and after enable the text here is the result. The progress bar seem stuck at this two processes;
Waiting for Root File System
Reading files needed to boot

philinux
May 19th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I would suggest it's the way the drives are setup as you said in first post.

In my old machine I had the bios set to use the ubuntu drive as the primary master and the windows drive the slave.

If you tinker with the bios make sure to write down your original settings as a backup.

spiderbatdad
May 19th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Slow boot is usually the result of hardware detection problems. Read the output of
dmesg and edit the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst according to the suggestions provided by dmesg, for example, "APIC disabled by bios, try using 'lapic.'
So. gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst delete --quiet splash from the end of the kernel line and add lapic.

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=UUID=604f2b74-7f64-424f-a8bf-1160a71d9ea3 ro lapic pci=routeirq
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic
quiet
savedefault

wariskampar
May 19th, 2008, 02:32 PM
@philinux: i also think that will solve the problem but will consider it as my last resort
@spiderbatdad: no offense but i really dont understand how to follow your instruction. when i key in dmesg in terminal, it list down all my hardware etc but i can not see any suggestion. i also type "gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst" but after key in my password nothing seem to happen. when i manually go to /boot/grub/menu.lst, i can not find "--quiet splash from the end of the kernel" to delete and subsequently add "lapic". i must admit that today is my second day in Ubuntu:)

spiderbatdad
May 19th, 2008, 02:40 PM
How about this:
dmesg > dmesg.txtthat will place a text file of dmesg in your home directory. Right click on that file and select "Archive." Upload that archive here using the "manage attachment" tool below this reply window.

wariskampar
May 19th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Hello, here is the dmesg file. I'm a bit paranoid about my system security so having said that hopefully the attached file doesnt have any info that can compromise my security (MAC Address etc).

Austin_KW
May 19th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Install boot chart

sudo apt-get install bootchart
Reboot and look in /var/log/bootchart/ for the graphic .png of the boot process, Either look at it yourself or post it back here.

Boot problems are often obvious, delays without CPU or disk activity.

Also first check "cat /etc/usplash.conf" Does the splash match your monitor resolution as this can cause delays

spiderbatdad
May 19th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Here is the kernel line: Kernel command line: root=UUID=xxx(some numbers) ro splash

You should be able to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst. If gedit isnt working, you can try nano...a little scarrier looking:
sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lstAgain use the arrow key to scroll down to the section under: ####END DEFAULT OPTIONS#### and go to the end of the line that begins with the word 'kernel.' It looks like local apic is present on your machine so try just deleting 'splash' from the end of that line and add 'pci=routeirq' without quotes. Save the file by pressing Ctrl-o then hit enter to confirm the file name and Ctrl-x to exit. Then reboot. I will look through your dmesg some more, but it generally seems ok. By removing splash you will also get a verbose boot, and you will be able to see where the process is hanging. Here is an example of my dmesg if you want to compare the two. You can see my kernel line looks like: Kernel command line: root=UUID=604g2b51-7g25-424f-a7cg-10700b21d9cs2 ro lapic pci=routeirq

Looks like you have a usb device causing an error...the routeirq may fix that. You might also want to turn off bluetooth start-up services in System>>Preferences>>Start up Programs, if you don't use it.

wariskampar
May 19th, 2008, 04:38 PM
@spiderbatdad: ok, after my sys reboot fairly fast (delete "splash" and replace with "pci=routeirq". but i dont see any progress bar anymore right? is that what you call verbose boot. btw, for confirmation here is my dmesg.txt again

I can not find System>Preference>Start Up. Where should I look to disable bluetooth

spiderbatdad
May 19th, 2008, 04:47 PM
@spiderbatdad: ok, after my sys reboot fairly fast (delete "splash" and replace with "pci=routeirq". but i dont see any progress bar anymore right? is that what you call verbose boot. btw, for confirmation here is my dmesg.txt again

Yes that is what I was referring to by verbose boot. Now that boot is faster, you can also do a one-time profile of the process to gain a few more seconds.
From the grub menu at start-up (where you select which os to boot) Edit the default kernel by pressing 'e' to edit. If you do not have a dual boot setup, it is possible the grub menu is hidden. In which case, press esc as the system starts.
After pressing 'e' to edit the kernel, use the arrow key to move to the kernel line and press 'e' again. Go to the end of the line...after pci=routeirq add profile, so it looks like:
Kernel command line: root=UUID=xxx(some numbers) ro pci=routeirq profile
Now hit enter, then 'b' to boot. This boot will take slightly longer as the system creates a profile of the process, subsequent boots will be faster. This is not a change made to the file /boot/grub/menu,lst, as that would cause a profile to run everytime...you don't want that.

wariskampar
May 19th, 2008, 05:21 PM
OK, i will do that during next Boot.

From the Start-Up Manager, at Boot Option tab, my Display resolution is stated 640x480 with 8 bits color depth where as my Screen Resolution is 1024x800. Do I have to change this as well to gain some speed

spiderbatdad
May 19th, 2008, 05:37 PM
OK, i will do that during next Boot.

From the Start-Up Manager, at Boot Option tab, my Display resolution is stated 640x480 with 8 bits color depth where as my Screen Resolution is 1024x800. Do I have to change this as well to gain some speed

Not sure. Also these boot parameters, ie pci=routeirq can be tricky to determine what will be most effective. On some hp machine I have had the best results with noapic nolapic. so the end of the kernel line looks like: ro noapic nolapic

You can try some other option, if you like, from the grub menu, as explained regarding 'profile.' This way you dont have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst while you experiment. If noapic nolapic works better you can make the change permanent in /menu.lst

You can also specify vga for resolution in the kernel like like so:
ro pci=routeirq vga=791
or
ro noapic nolapic vga=791

This table explains vga settings:

640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024 1600x1200
8bit 769 771 773 775 777
15bit 784 787 790 793 796
16bit 785 788 791 794 797
24bit 786 789 792 795 798

MyR
July 4th, 2008, 10:45 PM