PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] poor compatibility on laptop

slicemaster
May 19th, 2008, 08:34 AM
well,
i am really new to ubuntu and this is actualy my first install on a notebook computer. i tried out ubuntu not too long ago on my desktop and was very impressed by the easy of instalation and the configuration. anyways, simply put it was a wonderful experence. howevr the same can not be said with my laptop. i have a averatec 2200 seires notbook and ubuntu just doesnt seem to work well on it. i mean it operates fine and all but unfortionatly usibility is terrable because of two issues. first and most importantly is the video card. my notbook features VIA enbedded graphics. the card doesnt seem to be installed and configured by ubuntu. after installation, the system rebooted and i found that everything is displayed off center, the boot screen, as well as the log in screen. i was able to guess and get logged into my user account and set the screen resolution manually and it works but only for the desktop, the boot screen and the log-in screen remain flawed and for all intensive purposes unusable. second seems to be a wireless lan problem, the system sees the card and installed it and i can even try to connect to wireless networks that are found but it wont connect to my hotspot here at home. also note i suspect the drivers for the video card are either garbage or are not installed properly because desktop effects can not be enabled, the system is running with out any effects it wont even enable normal.

anyways, help is wanted and i would be really happy to get this working.

thanks,

P.S. i really do like ubuntu and am pleased with how well it works on my desktop, just seems that perhaps laptop support is lacking.

tact
May 19th, 2008, 08:42 AM
[...] just seems that perhaps laptop support is lacking.

Well that depends on your laptop. Everything on my laptop works perfectly out of the box with Hardy. (Dell Latitude)

You gotta realise that how well an (any) OS will work is very hardware dependant.

Always boot with liveCD first and see how well all your hardware is supported - does not matter if u got desktop or laptop.

Cheers.

slicemaster
May 19th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Well that depends on your laptop. Everything on my laptop works perfectly out of the box with Hardy. (Dell Latitude)

You gotta realise that how well an (any) OS will work is very hardware dependant.

Always boot with liveCD first and see how well all your hardware is supported - does not matter if u got desktop or laptop.

Cheers.

thanks for the reply but that really want what i was asking. i have been working with computers professionaly (in the windows world) for years and am well aware of how compatibility works and i do appreatate all the hard work of the developers. but could anyone help me figure out if the hardware has been detected and installed properly.

thanks