PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade shifted screen

ADH
May 19th, 2008, 02:15 AM
I upgraded to 8.04, and, after rebooting, my desktop was shifted over and partly off the screen. Is there a setting to fix this?

HotShotDJ
May 19th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I upgraded to 8.04, and, after rebooting, my desktop was shifted over and partly off the screen. Is there a setting to fix this?Most monitors have something like an "Auto Setup" button which normally corrects for these kinds of things.

Bakon Jarser
May 19th, 2008, 02:43 AM
I had this problem once and had to change some settings on my monitor (no automatic configure for me though)

ADH
May 24th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Would using the monitor controls affect the display of my other OSes?

I have a Viewsonic VX-922, if that helps.

stalkier
May 24th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Would using the monitor controls affect the display of my other OSes?

I have a Viewsonic VX-922, if that helps.

No it would not. Give it a go.

mgmiller
May 24th, 2008, 02:17 AM
It's not unusual for LCD's to do this. Just press the "auto" button or whatever it's labeled as on the front of the monitor and it will correct itself in a few seconds. Most monitors are "multi-synch" which means that once they see a new configuration, they remember it the next time they encounter it, so you only have to do it once. That being said, sometimes they don't remember the setting and you have to hit the "auto" button again when you change OS's (like in a dual boot), but it's no big deal.

I have a 22" Viewsonic and on mine, I think it's the button with the number "2" on it. They didn't label it auto. Yours might be the same.

ADH
May 26th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I have a Menu button, an up arrow button, a down arrow button, and a button that seems to black the screen. I don't have an "Auto" button. There was an "Auto" option in the menu, and I selected it, but it didn't change the display.

xenocide13
May 26th, 2008, 01:10 AM
That happened to me the first time i loaded up
once i updated my video drivers it seemed to fix itself

ADH
May 29th, 2008, 09:59 PM
My video card is a Matrox G-450. May upgrade to an ATI9200 soon.

ADH
July 25th, 2008, 02:15 AM
The upgrade to the ATI really killed things. Now, I only get VGA, and the desktop is too big for the 1268x1024 monitor. I haven't been able to install ATI drivers, despite much advice (I know nothing.) eCS (OS/2) Snap driver and XP detected the card and and set up drivers for it (I know a little eCS, and very little XP) - I thought Ubuntu would.

Can Synaptic install them?

ADH
August 22nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Still haven't gotten ATI Radeon drivers installed. Can't find anything in Add/Remove.