PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Proxy, Group Users "Lock out" Web not accessable

ChrisNZ
May 19th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I have Linux Mint installed, and Guard Dog Firewall (GDF) installed and in anticipation had (installed/ plugged in) a ADSL Modem. Testing the line everyday or so to see if the connection was on. I was told that GDF should be switched off, so did this. Of course we still where not on BB. The modem has some kind of Firewall built in as I understand, and GDF seemed unnecessary so uninstalled it.

While updating from the synaptic manager for the general updates of my system and programs I hit the Upgrade to "hardy"? button, finding it was going to take some considerable time on "Dial up" and before we had broadband running (still waiting for Telecom) I canceled the process. This left my system in a temporary state with weird system issues as you can imagine!

Prior to this the Web and email where still accessible. I believe after this it was ‘part’ disabled.

I say ‘part’ as email function is ok however Web is not, so proxy settings must have got stuck somewhere? On trying to fix this I noticed that I was not able to edit Proxy systems, Group Users and some other admin settings as "not admin" kind of messages began. Mmmmmm?

So … I have limited system access control except in Konsole or Root Terminal, Not sure why the proxy settings have not changed back, no Web access except in the dual boot Windoz OS, and a "limping" nix system, and stability issues.

Please can some folk assist with either terminal commands (as new to this)or something else, to find and possibly reset/edit the proxies and system access?

Thanks in advance