PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] gnome panel both gone - hardy 8.04

trigsenior
May 18th, 2008, 08:46 PM
hello,

I have had ubuntu 8.04 working on my laptop with gnome for a couple days , when for no apparent reason both my panels disapeared =(

i have tryed this commands

sudo dpkg-reconfigur gnome-panel
gnome-panel is broken or not fully installed

what should i do ?

this is what i was planning on doing

apt-get remove gnome-panel
apt-get install gnome-panel

is this a good idea ?

thanxs for your help

N.N.
May 18th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Did you install a new applet recently? That could possibly have broken gnome-panel. Which error messages do you get when you run gnome-panel from the terminal?

You can include the -s flag with apt-get to perform a simulation of an action. Try doing
sudo apt-get -s remove gnome-panel and see what gets removed along with the panel. It seems safe to remove gnome-panel and then reinstall it.

trigsenior
May 18th, 2008, 08:59 PM
thanxs for fast reply
it says gnome-panel is not installed .. weird
before this happened the only thing i did was remove evolution mail mabey i uninstalled gnome panel but i don t see how.

shall i just install gnome panel again ?

update

i ran

sudo apt-get -s remove gnome-panel

package gnome-panel is not installed, so not removed.
the following packages were automaticly installed and are no longer required :
tremulous-data

N.N.
May 18th, 2008, 09:14 PM
The removal of evolution could be the cause of the problem. I don't know why it breaks the panel, but I once assisted another user with a similar problem who deduced as follows:
I believe I know how I messed up and caused this though...Based on advice here, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=688687&highlight=menu+bars+disappear+gnome

I put those dirs back in place and I'm reinstalling ubuntu-desktop. Based on the packages I'm seeing pulled down, I'm pretty sure I caused this when I removed some evolution packages. I didn't realize they were required for gnome and panel menus. Once this is done I'll try gnome again and hopefully I'm back in business.

Perhaps it's a bug. Anyway, try installing gnome-panel again. If that doesn't solve the problem, install the ubuntu-desktop package again.

trigsenior
May 18th, 2008, 09:15 PM
thanxs for spending you time helping N.N i reinstalled gnome panel and it all works now :)

:guitar:

N.N.
May 18th, 2008, 09:16 PM
thanxs for spending you time helping N.N i reinstalled gnome panel and it all works now :)

:guitar:

You're welcome. Glad I could help. :)