PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Dvorak key remap/bindings for CTRL

bertwagner
May 18th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I have my keyboard set to a Dvorak layout in Ubuntu and that is working fine so far. My problem is when I try to use QWERTY layout shortcut keys. In my old Windows install I was able to write a script that remapped a Dvorak CTRL+J to be the equivalent of a QWERTY CTRL+C copy command, CTRL+K to be paste, etc... Is there a way I can regain this functionality in Ubuntu?

mister_pink
May 18th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Curious, I use dvorak and never thought to do this. I guess it would make things easier as I have to stretch to reach the correct keys if I've got one hand on mouse and one on the keyboard.

But I digress. There may be an application that will let you do this but I don't know of any and a quick search doesn't help. However what you can do if you're using gnome is remap shortcuts on an application by application basis. That could make things worse though as sometimes youd be using Ctrl + J/K and sometimes Ctrl + C/V.

To do that if you so choose go to the appearance preferences and make sure you have the "editable menu shortcut keys" turned on under "interface". Then in a program point at the copy menu item and press the new key combo. I think this is a pretty cool feature :)

Off topic slightly, but I really think keyboard layouts need a lower level support. My symbols are all messed up when I use a proper terminal, and I have a nightmare if I want to do anything at the grub menu level...

me121
February 4th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Curious, I use dvorak and never thought to do this. I guess it would make things easier as I have to stretch to reach the correct keys if I've got one hand on mouse and one on the keyboard.

But I digress. There may be an application that will let you do this but I don't know of any and a quick search doesn't help. However what you can do if you're using gnome is remap shortcuts on an application by application basis. That could make things worse though as sometimes youd be using Ctrl + J/K and sometimes Ctrl + C/V.

To do that if you so choose go to the appearance preferences and make sure you have the "editable menu shortcut keys" turned on under "interface". Then in a program point at the copy menu item and press the new key combo. I think this is a pretty cool feature :)

Off topic slightly, but I really think keyboard layouts need a lower level support. My symbols are all messed up when I use a proper terminal, and I have a nightmare if I want to do anything at the grub menu level...

thanks I didn't know this. it doesn't work for firefox though... i also noticed that Kate allows me to right click then configure. the problem is in gedit I change paste to Ctrl+K, but that combination brings up that search box like in nautilius...