PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Cant Type In My Password

Gordon B
May 18th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Hi All,

Brand new to Ubuntu, did the install, everything "seems" ok, but when I boot for the first time it asks for my user name, which I can type in, I hit enter, it then asks for my password but it wont let me type it in, in other words when I hit the keys, no letters come up.

I have tried three re-installs but always the same.

Any ideas?

Thank you all in advance,

Gordon.

Joeb454
May 18th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Is this from a Terminal? If so this is normal behaviour - it will not show anything, though it will be accepting your input :) Hope this helps, if only a little ;)

shifty_powers
May 18th, 2008, 06:34 PM
heh silly question, but did you try typing in your password and pressing enetr and seeing what happens ;)

N.N.
May 18th, 2008, 06:34 PM
That's weird. Perhaps your installation media is defective? Or perhaps the visual feedback in the password entry box is simply hidden (it shouldn't be by default if it's at the login screen)? Try typing in the password as if there had been letters and then hit enter.

Gone fishing
May 18th, 2008, 06:35 PM
You see a login screen? Pretty rather than black and white? Do dots appear when you type? You do know that the user name and password are case specific

If it is a login screen can you login from a terminal Alt Control F1?

Gordon B
May 18th, 2008, 06:48 PM
No it's not a terminal, just a single PC.

I have tried typing the correct word and pressing enter, but I just get an incorrect username or password fault.

The install was a "clean" one so no Windows conflict, maybe I did something wrong at the install stage.
Is there a way of installing without the need to have a password, like with Windows?

Sorry to be a pain, but I would like to see how Ubuntu performs.

Thanks again.

Gordon.](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)

philinux
May 18th, 2008, 06:53 PM
If you've got numbers in your password use the numbers above the top keyboard row. Or if using the numeric keypad make sure numlock is on. This caught me out in the early days.

shifty_powers
May 18th, 2008, 06:54 PM
No it's not a terminal, just a single PC.

I have tried typing the correct word and pressing enter, but I just get an incorrect username or password fault.

The install was a "clean" one so no Windows conflict, maybe I did something wrong at the install stage.
Is there a way of installing without the need to have a password, like with Windows?

Sorry to be a pain, but I would like to see how Ubuntu performs.

Thanks again.

Gordon.](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)

another daft question.

have you tried clicking the muse pointer in the box and seeing if anything shows up then when you type?

sailor2001
May 18th, 2008, 07:01 PM
after you get on..... go to system/administration/login window/security and you can check for automatic login.,, You'll have to put in password to access that, but this time it will show dots or stars as you type password.

aysiu
May 18th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Read this:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/passwordinterminal

And make sure you don't have capslock on.

If those two steps don't work, then try this:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

Gordon B
May 19th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Hi Again,

Is it possible to wear an "I am stupid" cap on this Forum? I only installed the wrong version didn't I, I installed the Server version. I have now installed the correct version so the passward problem is now solved, in fact I am posting this using my Ubuntu drive. I use caddies so one has Vista on and this one has Ubuntu.

I have lots more questions, as I would think all new adopters of this system will have, but I will put those into a new topic.

Thanks for all you help now and in the future.

Gordon.