PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How to create a menu to select AVI files on DVD?

pierolinux
May 18th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Hi everybody,
I have a problem I hope somebody out there can help me with :-)

I have a collection of AVI files on my PC and I would like to back them up on DVDs to free space on my HDD.

More than just burn the files on a DVD, I want to create a DVD with an intro (in any video format), a custom graphic menu with a few buttons and my AVI files to be lauched pressing each button. What I do NOT want is transcoding/re-encoding my AVI files. I know AVI files cannot play on simple DVD players, but my DVD player supports AVI format.

So far I tried with qdvdauthor and ManDVD, but both of them insist on transcoding my AVI files and this task on my PC takes a loooooong time :-(

Do you think a hybrid DVD/AVI disc can be done? And above all, HOW?

Thanks for your help,
Piero

BurningFury
December 15th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I had the same problem.
If you want to have AVI files on a DVD with a menu then use: DivxAuthor.

Don't know if it runs on Linux tho, so not sure if it will work.

Another thing you can try is to burn the AVI files with K3B as a DATA DVD.
It won't have a menu, but at least it will have all your files, and
it can play back on your PC.

The last thing I would recommend is to use DeVeDe.
There's an option to make an ISO with Video files, but make sure
to check the box with the "File is already in complaint format".
Even though they're not, it won't transcode them.
You can also add a little menu with DeVeDe.

Hope that helps.

pierolinux
December 15th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Hi,
after so long I did not expect anybody would ever reply to my post. So thank you for that!

Actually, the menu-feature Divx Author claims to have (see them at: http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/author/) is just what I am looking for. Unfortunately, you are correct, it only runs on Windows, so it is not suitable for me.

I am aware that if I burn my files on a DVD I get the file list on my TV when I'll play the DVD (your second option), but it is not fancy, isn't it? ;-)

Finally, as far as I know DeVeDe always tries to transcode if you make a DVD-like disc, but I'll check out the flag you mention. In case of success I'll notify you.

Anyway, should I find anything in the future I'll update this post to let you know.

Cheers,
pierolinux

BlackGuyZA
May 21st, 2011, 09:09 PM
I am having a similar problem.

I am owning a Compro Network Media Centre and may wait for years for their new firmware which may solve my problem. I have a lot of movies on media player and haven't even watched some of them. Going through the names to try and find a movie I want to watch depending on my mood at a time is almost impossible, so I believe that if I can at least browse my movies while displaying posters as well as notes it will help a lot.

I figured that since the media player can play almost all media files, I may use one of the media file format and create menus for certain types of movies. Is there a media type that I can use for this purpose like DVD menu file for instance, will it open the movie file (AVI) I point it to? I know a little programming so I am willing to code if necessary.