PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] frustrated

nix4me
May 18th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Just changed my server to 8.04 and i have a serious issue with proftpd. The service does not always start after a reboot. I have no idea why. When it doesn't start, i can manually restart it and it runs fine. Any ideas why it's not working every time?

HalPomeranz
May 18th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I don't have a lot of experience with ProFTPD, but the first thing I'd do is check the logs to see if there are any error messages that might indicate what's wrong...

nix4me
May 18th, 2008, 01:12 AM
I see nothing in the logs about it. Which log should I see a failed process start?

HalPomeranz
May 18th, 2008, 01:31 AM
You may see something in /var/log/messages ("grep -i proftp /var/log/messages"), but my guess is that ProFTPD has its own log files. Can you tell from looking at the ProFTPD config file where it's putting its logs?

Alternatively, you might try:

find /var/log -type f | xargs grep -li proftp

The above command will give you a list of all files under /var/log that contain the string "proftp" (case-insensitive match).

nix4me
May 18th, 2008, 01:37 AM
i see nothing pertaining to a failed start. This is frustrating. A manual start works fine. Could it be that proftpd is trying to start before networkmanager has the network up?

I see no way to switch from networkmanager to network to try it though.

HalPomeranz
May 18th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Well, as an ugly work-around you could put something like this in /etc/rc.local:

# Start ProFTP if it didn't start properly at boot time
if [ ! "`lsof -t -c proftpd`" ]; then
/etc/init.d/proftpd start
fi

Still it would be better to figure out why it's bombing during the normal startup. Maybe turning up the debugging level higher?

nix4me
May 18th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Fixed. It was networkmanager. Networkmanager starts too late in the boot process and thus proftpd was starting before it, which was causing it not to start.

I changed network to non roaming mode and all seems fine now.

cdtech
May 18th, 2008, 04:34 AM
That dosen't seem like a fix but rather a workaround. How did you do the upgrade. I'm sure your using run level 2 (command line - runlevel). Check the etc/rc2.d folder and see if your S50proftpd link is there and that it starts with an "S" and not a "K" and in which order it runs at. Mine starts at "S50" you can change the order.

hyper_ch
May 18th, 2008, 08:07 AM
it is also adviced to use a descriptive topic title, that means a topic title that gives some clue about the content in the thread itself...

a generic topic title like "noob here" or "need help" does not help at all. As you may have notices, just about everyone posting in here has some kind of a problem or issue or question ;)

nix4me
May 18th, 2008, 02:30 PM
That dosen't seem like a fix but rather a workaround. How did you do the upgrade. I'm sure your using run level 2 (command line - runlevel). Check the etc/rc2.d folder and see if your S50proftpd link is there and that it starts with an "S" and not a "K" and in which order it runs at. Mine starts at "S50" you can change the order.

It is S50 in the rc2.d.

All I know is that it works perfectly now since i unticked "roaming mode" in the network applet and set the configuration to DHCP.

cdtech
May 18th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Great!