PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fan seems continuous - Temp around 50C

ajlewis2
May 17th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I have a Darter, I think Daru1. It seems to me that the fan is going a lot more than it used to when I first got it. I can't honestly say how long this has been going on. gkrellm shows it staying at around 50C, up to 60C when doing something like ripping cds for a while, down to 49C when doing nothing except running Folding at Home at a30% CPU.

I've been running F@H since the beginning; so I don't think that is the cause.

My questions. Is around 50C normal for pretty low usage? Should the fan be running continuously?

The fan does run at higher speed if, for example, I have F@H running at full CPU. That is why I am limiting it.

Thanks, Anita

MorphWVUtuba
May 18th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I have a gazv2 with a 2.16 Core Duo. Gkrellm tells me around 130ᵒF, which is about 53ᵒC. It's been pretty steady around there at idle. Mine will go down to around 110ᵒF if I have it sitting on top of a laptop cooling station.

My fans are running continuously, but at low rpm. I had to put my ear down to the vent to hear it. But perhaps I'm benefiting from the larger form factor and the better airflow it receives.

I would have to think that the fan is going to be running all the time anyway, am I right? I mean, I have seen what happens to a desktop cpu if you remove the heatsink while it is running. Here it is for those who haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQUj1Huxsqs

ajlewis2
May 18th, 2008, 01:21 AM
My fans are running continuously, but at low rpm. I had to put my ear down to the vent to hear it.

I think that might be what is bothering me. Previously I did not hear the fan. It may be just running too fast.

Thanks.
Anita

perce
May 18th, 2008, 02:09 AM
I have a DARU1 too. I've noticed an increase of temperature from Feisty to Gutsy: first I was almost always around 46, and now I go to 50 often, 60+ if I watch youtube videos. Centigrades of course. However by fan didn't get much noisier: it's surely running more often than before, but almost never at full speed.

Are you running Gutsy or Hardy?

ajlewis2
May 18th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Are you running Gutsy or Hardy?

I'm running Gutsy, and I think the change probably was at the upgrade from Feisty. Power of suggestion. :-)

I installed Xubuntu Hardy on another partition and it is running the same temp and fan action, although I have only run it for an hour a couple of times. On that I did not have Folding at Home going.

Thanks,
Anita