PDA

View Full Version : please finally fix copy/paste

jackflap
May 17th, 2008, 08:34 PM
well.. to go out on a limb, in an 'intrepid' manner, so to speak :O isn't it about time we fixed the copy/paste problems??

closing applications empties the clipboard, which is nonsense really.

See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=311340 for Firefox

But this bug exists all over the place, the only place I have ever seen it work properly, is gedit.. go figure

markp1989
May 17th, 2008, 08:36 PM
well.. to go out on a limb, in an 'intrepid' manner, so to speak :O isn't it about time we fixed the copy/paste problems??

But this bug exists all over the place, the only place I have ever seen it work properly, is gedit.. go figure

I quite like that it empties the clipboard, just took abit of getting used to

utUtu
May 17th, 2008, 09:39 PM

KDE/Klipper works just fine.

ronacc
May 17th, 2008, 11:04 PM
perhaps make it a selectable behavior . Though I prefer a "persistant" clipboard where it requires a positive action to empty it , I can also see some logic in one that emptys when the app is closed . It is clearly a preference issue and as such should be selectable .

MacUntu
May 18th, 2008, 01:41 AM
It is clearly a preference issue and as such should be selectable .

Agreed. Only thing we need is a Klipper-like utility for Gnome.

caryb
May 18th, 2008, 03:41 AM

Shame we spend so much time writing apps & not cross pollinating between Gnome & KDE! Then we can concentrate on building better apps & not have devs duplicating work.

My 2 bobs worth & rant. Cary

steeleyuk
May 18th, 2008, 11:00 AM

Already available in Parcellite.

Though, fixing the inital problem would be best or like has been mentioned, giving an option between a persistent and temporary clipboard would also work.

meborc
May 18th, 2008, 01:30 PM
sorry for sounding too harsh, but:

i hate the fact that people suggest using extra programs to do something that we really don't need... i mean, whenever i have tried KDE i see this clip-thing in the tray... and i try to get rid of it, as i like my desktop clean and functional... but i can't :)

clean and fast are the things i look for... adding an extra app is out of the question... i'd rather spend 2 min learning how to copy/paste before closing windows :)

steeleyuk
May 18th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I understand that, copy/paste should work as it does in Windows (in my opinion) or what has been said, there should be an option.

Though the extra programs do more, including allowing for multiple items in the clipboard.

meborc
May 18th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I understand that, copy/paste should work as it does in Windows (in my opinion) or what has been said, there should be an option.

Though the extra programs do more, including allowing for multiple items in the clipboard.

why should copy/paste work like in windows? :confused: just a question :)

steeleyuk
May 18th, 2008, 01:42 PM
In Windows, its persistent and in my opinion its how a clipboard should be. Anything I copy to there should remain there until a) I remove it explicitly or b) something else takes its place.

Though, I know some people like the clipboard to be cleared when they close down the app that has copied to it, so I see no reason for providing an option to do both.

ronacc
May 18th, 2008, 01:45 PM
as part of selectable you should be able to "select" not to have it at all. ctrl/c - ctrl/v isn't rocket science. But please realise that Ubuntu strives to be a distro that requires a minimum amount of configuration/learning from the new user . No one setup will please everyone , we aren't all clones . My preferences run from the simple to the byzantine , You decide where yous fall.

meborc
May 18th, 2008, 01:46 PM
In Windows, its persistent and in my opinion its how a clipboard should be. Anything I copy to there should remain there until a) I remove it explicitly or b) something else takes its place.

Though, I know some people like the clipboard to be cleared when they close down the app that has copied to it, so I see no reason for providing an option to do both.

true... but i'm kind of paranoid... (probably the reason i use gnu/linux)... so i really like the fact that when closing an file/application, no info can be copied from it... but that's just me

btw... i now realise that i have never had that problem, i mean i have never closed a file accidentally before pasting the info to somewhere else... i guess i have just been lucky... and i understand that some people could get frustrated

hexion
May 18th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Take a look a this.. it just works as the clipboard in Windows without any annoying icon anywhere..

Used it for more than one year.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=420535

curtis
May 18th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Wouldn't it save memory to remove all copied data when the application is closed?

olskar
May 18th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Take a look a this.. it just works as the clipboard in Windows without any annoying icon anywhere..

Used it for more than one year.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=420535

Wow! That should really be installed by default! Perhaps hard since it is not even in the repos yet..(at least I cant find it?)

disturbedite
May 19th, 2008, 12:57 AM
KDE/Klipper works just fine.
not always. this is a firefox issue though, not a desktop environment/user interface issue.

durand
May 19th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I used to have this problem but it works for me now and without gnome-clipboard-daemon. As it said in that thread, this problem was resolved with gnome 2.12. Maybe it's just a firefox problem? I don't use firefox :/

aamukahvi
May 19th, 2008, 07:12 PM
You mean Glipper (apt:glipper)?

MacUntu
May 19th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Yes. That would be totally sufficient (for my needs).

Gina
May 19th, 2008, 10:59 PM
You mean Glipper (apt:glipper)?Thank you :) I'll give it a whirl - I could do with being able to hold more than one item on the clipboard.

jackflap
May 20th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Glipper doesn't actually fix this problem. It provides a tray icon which holds all recently copied items. This is a workaround, and for a very non-technical user, this isn't a solution since it the expected behaviour is still broken.

There isn't really a good reason to empty the clipboard, and the memory argument is a bit silly since most computer have enough memory nowadays, and if they dont, then this should be an xubuntu feature.

Not only that, but the only situation that I can understand the memory issue would be a problem is Gimp since it could copy all layers from a layered image out of the app. It's a shame that they've broken copy/paste altogether in order to fix an uncommon issue in a single application.

disturbedite
May 20th, 2008, 07:00 PM
as i said before, the problem is with firefox afaik, and i looked it into a long time ago.

jackflap
May 22nd, 2008, 06:47 PM
as i said before, the problem is with firefox afaik, and i looked it into a long time ago.

The problem is also with evolution, thunderbird, pidgin, virtualbox, gnucash, sunbird, GIMP, and OpenOffice. I didn't bother trying any others since it was pretty obvious what was going to happen.

Bugs are open in all upstream projects, and yet, even though alot of them were submitted over 2 years ago, most of them are still unfixed.

I think Ubuntu would be doing the whole Linux-community a massive service if they would just write patches to fix these issues for the upstream devs.

Either that, or put political pressure on gnome to re-work the clipboard spec so that it doesn't empty when an application closes.

durand
May 22nd, 2008, 07:12 PM
The problem is also with evolution, thunderbird, pidgin, virtualbox, gnucash, sunbird, GIMP, and OpenOffice. I didn't bother trying any others since it was pretty obvious what was going to happen.

Bugs are open in all upstream projects, and yet, even though alot of them were submitted over 2 years ago, most of them are still unfixed.

I think Ubuntu would be doing the whole Linux-community a massive service if they would just write patches to fix these issues for the upstream devs.

Either that, or put political pressure on gnome to re-work the clipboard spec so that it doesn't empty when an application closes.

You're right, just tried with pidgin and it does have this problem. However gnome-terminal and gedit don't...

syxbit
May 22nd, 2008, 07:35 PM
this has bugged me for ages.
i just install glipper.
i agree though, glipper shouldn't be necessary

disturbedite
May 22nd, 2008, 07:57 PM

this is strange. i remember reading a while back about this very problem in the firefox knowledge database. fwir it said it was a firefox issue.
i wouldn't know about those other programs though, i use kde. firefox & ooo are the only gtk apps i use but i haven't ever had copy/paste problems with ooo.

caryb
May 22nd, 2008, 11:21 PM
i use kde. firefox & ooo are the only gtk apps i use but i haven't ever had copy/paste problems with ooo.

I don't either but KDE uses Klipper for it's copy & paste functions & it seems to be immune from these problems!

Cary

BTW this isn't intended to be a Gnome/KDE flame war as we have our share of problems in KDE-land

disturbedite
May 23rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
I don't either but KDE uses Klipper for it's copy & paste functions & it seems to be immune from these problems!

Cary

BTW this isn't intended to be a Gnome/KDE flame war as we have our share of problems in KDE-land
actually, if you had read my previous statement, you'd see that i said that is not the case. i get the problem occasionally on kde (with klipper of course). this happened with kde3 & still does occasionally in kde4 which again leads me to believe it is a firefox issue.

olskar
May 23rd, 2008, 07:49 PM
I can confirm that this bug is in pidgin too. However I was able to copy from other programs after I close them so perhaps this is a firefoxissue and a pidginissue? Not something that is systemwide.

smartboyathome
May 24th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I think this is a non-gnome issue. GNOME fixed it for their apps, but other apps aren't fixed (for various reasons). Most of the above 'broken' programs are not really part of GNOME, so they have not had the gnome stuff applied to them.

madjr
June 1st, 2008, 07:03 AM
why should copy/paste work like in windows? :confused: just a question :)

i think you read bug #1

Ubuntu's main target are windows users and to lower msft's marketshare.

even wubi is included by default to archive this.

We can't lack in features and ease of use.

then they'll think we're an "incomplete" and under develop system.

if we have weak points then someone will aways exploit them.

while a full featured clipboard is not such a "big deal".... it has been for some reviews i read not so long ago from windows testers who just expect certain minimal functionality.

online distribution is how linux gets spread, so every bad review counts and affects greatly ubuntu (unlike windows which is pre-installed)

tdrusk
June 1st, 2008, 04:45 PM
Wow. In the longer than 2 years that I have used Ubuntu I have never noticed this haha. It's not a big deal for me, because when I am copying and pasting something I finish the job, then close out of windows I don't need.

hugmenot
June 2nd, 2008, 04:45 AM
Evolution even clears the clipboard when you close a ‘new mail’ window and re-click on reply-all, when you forgot to do that. So annoying!

meborc
June 2nd, 2008, 08:55 AM
i think you read bug #1

Ubuntu's main target are windows users and to lower msft's marketshare.

even wubi is included by default to archive this.

We can't lack in features and ease of use.

then they'll think we're an "incomplete" and under develop system.

if we have weak points then someone will aways exploit them.

while a full featured clipboard is not such a "big deal".... it has been for some reviews i read not so long ago from windows testers who just expect certain minimal functionality.

online distribution is how linux gets spread, so every bad review counts and affects greatly ubuntu (unlike windows which is pre-installed)

wellllllll... first of all, ubuntu is ment as an alternative, NOT a replacement (in the sence of 100% likeness)

i don't like the idea of people saying "ubuntu should do stuff more like windows... because then we get more windows users to use ubuntu..." that is not true... what we get is a group of people who think ubuntu is a windows clone and they expect everything to work like windows and they get really mad when they realize that this is not true :)

i think all users should understand that gnu/linux is not a windows clone and does things differently

(ps, i think a clipboard options to save is a good idea... i just don't like the way it is requested)

BungaMan
June 2nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
At the office I frequently use it in a way that I copy a number, then close the application and then use this number to query in other systems. CRM, database, email... this number is pasted everywhere and I don't want or need to keep the originating application open for as long as I use this number. How silly would that be? Then your clipboard is your application, not the memory.

Amaranth
June 3rd, 2008, 08:46 AM
The problem is that applications support many formats for copy/paste and the only way to reliably make the clipboard persistent would be to stuff a copy of every single format in a clipboard daemon which could take gigs of memory.

For example, App A outputs application/xml, random/my+format, and text/plain versions of what you've copied. App B supports random/my+format and text/plain for pasting. App C supports application/xml for pasting. Which version of the output should you save? The only correct answer is all of them but now you've got 3 copies of the data in memory.

Without a clipboard daemon (how it works now) the app you're pasting into will say "I support application/xml" and the app you copied from will say "alright, here is the data formatted as application/xml" and there is no wasted memory.

Now, that said, there is a clipboard daemon in GNOME that will store text/plain data so you can copy some text from gedit, close gedit, and paste the text into another app.

If you pay attention Windows actually has the same problem, they just handle a couple more formats instead of just text/plain.

durand
June 3rd, 2008, 03:07 PM
The daemon isn't in the repos and Im not sure what to use. I dont think clipboard-daemon works anymore http://members.chello.nl/~h.lai/gnome-clipboard-daemon/

meborc
June 3rd, 2008, 04:30 PM
the name "glipper" was used before... i guess that is the utility?!

durand
June 3rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
It doesn't seem to load correctly for me. I added it to the panel, but it just crashes with the usual applet error.

fsando
June 23rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
I think it may be worth going with "klipper" instead of "glipper" - the KDE version. I found it much better in 7.10 I'm about to test it in hardy now.

durand
June 23rd, 2008, 09:21 PM
I think it may be worth going with "klipper" instead of "glipper" - the KDE version. I found it much better in 7.10 I'm about to test it in hardy now.

You can install it after installing hardy but it won't be included on the cd because you need all the qt dependencies.

soccerboy
June 24th, 2008, 12:35 AM
I've never experienced this as I always paste before closing but an option would be nice.

soccerboy
June 24th, 2008, 12:36 AM
it does get annoying when windows hangs on to clipboard information, confidential information that you don't want easily accessible.

xlinuks
July 17th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Hi,
I think Ubuntu still does a great favor to Apple and M$ by not solving such ridiculous issues like the copy/paste one (the buffer gets lost after window closed unless the user *knows* he needs to install a special program for that, like glipper, to avoid such unexpected puzzles).
Mandriva as far as I remember has the glipper equivalent for KDE installed by default, so should Ubuntu.
Solving this would mean one unpleasant surprise less (which hits every user).
I know this has been debated in the past but still seems to hang in the air in the Ubuntu camp.

Sorry if this should be posted in another thread.

philinux
July 17th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Well, since I don't use windoze anymore/at all I'm not sure what you are on about.

mc4100
July 17th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Well, since I don't use windoze anymore/at all I'm not sure what you are on about.
It's pretty clear:

...the buffer gets lost after window closes...
Meaning that whatever had been copied using, for example, CTRL+C, is wiped for memory when the application from which you copied is closed. I actually think this is useful and it doesn't bother me much, however I know it works some of the time. Which means it's inconsistent and should be fixed, so, I think that some sort of daemon-ish thing should be keeping the data in memory. In fact, I'm sure there's another thread with that very suggestion ::goes to search::

EDIT: found it :
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=797758&highlight=copy+paste+daemon

olskar
July 17th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Yep this should be merged

Nullack
July 17th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Its a feature not a bug

zekopeko
July 17th, 2008, 01:11 AM
on the plus side we have 92 years until the 22nd century...

Talon2
July 17th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I agree 100%.

This is a productivity killer here as I never can seem to remember that in Linux I have to leave documents open until after the paste.

Is there a bug already posted that we can pile on?

olskar
July 17th, 2008, 01:37 AM
I agree 100%.

This is a productivity killer here as I never can seem to remember that in Linux I have to leave documents open until after the paste.

Is there a bug already posted that we can pile on?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/11334

olskar
July 17th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Its a feature not a bug

Oh, come on, how can this possibly be a feature? :(

Edit: Ok, found out that this is a design feature of X11, but it is not a very nice feature I think :/

p_quarles
July 17th, 2008, 02:38 AM