PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Other hosts can't resolve my server's host name

fizgig
May 17th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Just installed 8.04 server on my box and I can't get the other two computers on my network (OSX and XP) to resolve the host name of my server though I can ping its IP address just fine.

I made sure winbind was installed and I changed the line in /etc/nsswitch.conf to

:hosts: files dns mdns wins

but no dice. I've never had this issue on previous ubuntu server installs. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Aearenda
May 17th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I think you need to have samba installed for this to work.

fizgig
May 17th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Sorry, samba is installed and I can browse the shares just fine if I use an ip address. Still can't resolve the host name from other computers. :(

bluefrog
May 17th, 2008, 06:37 PM
either set the host name in windows and mac, or install a dns server on your ubuntu box and give this dns to windows and mac, or set up bind as a wins server (this I haven't tested for a long time)

James Dupin

fizgig
May 17th, 2008, 06:47 PM
So you're saying to give up on the netbios functionality that has worked in previous ubuntu server installations and go through the hassle of installing a dns server on my ubuntu server?

No thanks - I'd rather get netbios name resolution working and keep my wireless access point as my gateway, dns server and dhcp server.

bluefrog
May 17th, 2008, 06:52 PM
personally I don't mind what you are doing or not...

Then it is the wins server functionality which must be faulty I presume.

fizgig
May 17th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I just don't like overkill solutions that require restructuring a network when there is an elegant way that should work.

Anyhow, I did get it to work by adding "netbios name = blah" in the smp.conf file. No wins or dns server required.

I do appreciate your input though.

bluefrog
May 17th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I am talking of the wins server functionality in smb.conf...

chiros
May 17th, 2008, 09:06 PM
If you only have a small network then edit your hosts files; in windows located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Add a line such as:
192.168.0.xx www.yourdomain.tld

I use that for my local websites, I would think it would work for your shares aswell

fizgig
May 18th, 2008, 12:08 AM
That way would work but it sure is more convenient to use netbios as netbios is dynamic and doesn't require a server of any kind when all hosts are on the same subnet like mine (and I suspect most peoples') are.

If I stick to netbios host names in all my settings (such as my xbox for streaming movies from my server), that allows me to change IP addresses without breaking anything.

Using a wins server is necessary if you want to resolve host names between subnets, same thing goes for a dns server. I'd rather use the server-less method of netbios but that's just my preference.