PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Can't access repositories!

RedMartin
May 16th, 2008, 11:40 PM
I'm assuming that Ubuntu's servers get taken down occasionally. Is there any place where I can find out if there is a service status report?

FWIW I can't download anything from the repositories this evening (I'm in the UK).

Any ideas?

PinkFloyd102489
May 16th, 2008, 11:50 PM
How did you do the update? Through terminal or using a graphical interface?

If you used the graphical, open a terminal and try this:

sudo apt-get update

That will update the repo list.

RedMartin
May 17th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I tried that last night and got error messages.

It all seems to be working this morning though so I assume the servers I connect to were offline for some reason.

Thank you for you reply though.

Xiong Chiamiov
May 17th, 2008, 08:44 AM
The only time the servers really have problems is when there's a distro update. For instance, many people were having problems when hardy came out, since there was massive package downloading.

shadow-of-sin
May 17th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Just for future reference, if the server you are using is down, you can always change to a different one by going to System-->Administration-->Software Sources.

RedMartin
May 18th, 2008, 09:00 AM
The only time the servers really have problems is when there's a distro update. For instance, many people were having problems when hardy came out, since there was massive package downloading.

There was definitely an issue between about 21:00 BST to (at least) 01:00. At that point I went to bed.

Just for future reference, if the server you are using is down, you can always change to a different one by going to System-->Administration-->Software Sources.

I thought I could do that but, as I wasn't actually trying to download anything of any great urgency I just went to bed.

Is there a site with gives information on scheduled server downtime, maintenance etc and also info on any unexpected issues? Something like an ISP's service status page.

dmub82
May 18th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Yeah, ever since the release of Hardy it seems like the repos (main or US) are overwhelmed more often. Update is often stuck on "0% Waiting for headers" for maybe two full minutes. A web-based status indicator would ease the mind.

For example, just now:

d@d:~$ sudo apt-get update
Fetched 173kB in 2min11s (1320B/s)